Local Talk

Is there a Richmond / SW London chat thread?

(20 Posts)
SkaterGrrrrl Tue 10-Jul-12 08:29:06

Think there used to be one but cant find a recent one.

primalsteam Tue 10-Jul-12 10:31:11

If there isn't, I'd like there to be one. Don't know if there usd to be as only just started looking at 'Local' .

Is there one, anyone else? Or let's start one right now! smile

SkaterGrrrrl Tue 10-Jul-12 13:17:46

<sits cross legged on the carpet>

Hello, primalsteam. Nice user name.

Haberdashery Tue 17-Jul-12 13:26:50

I think they all buggered off to Facebook.

Hello!

primalsteam Tue 17-Jul-12 14:27:38

Come on everyone.... |Maybe we need some conversation openers...

I just got my kids school reports, found them pretty hard to decode. Anyone else?

Also what do you reckon are best places to take kids locally..?

Haberdashery Tue 17-Jul-12 14:46:46

So, whereabouts are you all? How old are your children?

DD's report was fairly easy to decode but she is in Reception so I don't think she's been doing anything too taxing!

I love Marble Hill Park, Kew Gardens, the river, the Terrace Gardens, and this place was fab at Syon House though I haven't been again since it moved.

SkaterGrrrrl Tue 17-Jul-12 17:23:02

Just moved to this bit of the world after 13 years in north London. I have a 2 year old and another one on the way in autumn. <offers round wine ingratiatingly>

Impressions so far:

SW London just as full of young families and meeja types as NE London, but it all takes place next to a river rather than a heath

Pretty as all hell from what I can see through the persistant curtain of rain; friendly too, judging from the odd playgroup and toddler over stimulating class (though what to do when they all dry up over the summer?)

If one more person tells me that the Monty Python fish slapping dance was filmed on Teddington lock, I shall scream.

I shall be pestering you with questions about GPs, childminders, pubs and how not to get stuck in the John Lewis car park lane when driving through Kingston. smile

Haberdashery Tue 17-Jul-12 19:30:26

>> what to do when they all dry up over the summer?

Marble Hill Park One O'Clock club is great.

>> how not to get stuck in the John Lewis car park lane when driving through Kingston

We always seem to do the opposite and end up in the wrong lane for actually accessing the car park.

primalsteam Thu 19-Jul-12 18:29:28

Yes Marble hill Park one clock club is great over the summer, and has adventure playground next to it to for over fives.

Anyone else knew any good places to go in summer hols?
I knew the the usual , Kew Gard, Bushy and Richmond Parks, but am really wanting some more options with a whole l o n g six weeks to fill (apart from only one brief week away).
It feels very daunting, at the mo, despite having quite a few reliies visits and friends meet ups. There are still quite a few empty days in diary, and I get fed up if we stay in too many days.

castlesintheair Thu 19-Jul-12 18:38:20

Duke Meadow is good. The Wetland Centre in Barnes.

castlesintheair Thu 19-Jul-12 18:39:21

Dukes Meadow even. Also Lollipop Club good if raining for littlies.

SkaterGrrrrl Thu 19-Jul-12 22:14:00

Some events on at Strawberry Hill house...

www.strawberryhillhouse.org.uk/events.php

SkaterGrrrrl Thu 19-Jul-12 22:21:45

"really wanting some more options with a whole l o n g six weeks to fill ..."

Yes, I need to up my game. Going to the library and Tescos is not really cutting it with DD.

Any other classes running? Ive found a dance group, Tempo Tots but at £7 a pop, its expensive.

Jasbro Sun 22-Jul-12 14:57:51

Don't know whereabouts you are but the Children's Centres are all doing Summer Holiday programmes of activities which you can access as pdfs at www.richmond.gov.uk/childrens_centres (apart from Welcare at Twickenham Green who are slow at publicising anything new - you have to knock on the door and ask them)
Also some of the sports centres (Whitton and Orleans Park but maybe others) run Toddler Fun Sessions (Basic soft play/bouncy castle) throughout school holidays http://www.richmond.gov.uk/sports_facilities
www.forsanityssake.com has really good listings of local pre-school stuff, but do remember like any listings website they can't always get all their info 100% so do contact the places to check before turning up.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 06-Aug-12 08:55:01

Thank you, that's helpful.

lamandler Wed 08-Aug-12 23:13:27

Skatergrrrrl, I moved here from North/East London last year too. The culture shock was immense! It's very green, leafy and not a handlebar moustache/mankle/fixey bike in sight!

Hope you are settling in wine

floatingquoter Fri 31-Aug-12 14:07:12

I found it difficult to get used to but easy now I have served my apprentisship
I dabble in sport big time. Do thetre and broadcasting. lot of media types in the area. Kew is ok

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 14-Sep-12 19:58:13

Thanks lamandler and thanks for the wine!

Jonquille Mon 17-Sep-12 19:50:32

So are we keeping this as a Richmond thread? I moved to the borough in February and still discovering. And loving my jogging along the river. Now that my 3 yo starting nursery school, I am all puzzled what to do in those THREE hours shock
Prebaby times, it would take me that much time to get ready for going out, now this seems to be a lot of time, or absolutely not enough at all.
What do you do?

ceeveebee Sun 23-Sep-12 21:17:24

Hello all,I have just found this thread. I am another migrant from NW London, we have been in Richmond for nearly 3 years and have 10 month old twins. Am just about to go back to work part time and starting to look for playgroups etc for our nanny to take the DTs to. Any recommendations gratefully received (I've not taken them to many so far as (a) they were a bit young and (b) I am lazy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now