Local Talk

twickenham/strawberr y hill area - thinking of moving there... any advice?

(12 Posts)
Everhart Sat 17-Nov-12 10:01:05

We are currently expecting first baby so we desperately need to move out of central London and get more space!

We have mostly been looking at Wimbledon but I'm not sold, though transport is great there for DH. Less good (fewer options eg tube) in Twickenham.

We are mostly looking on-line at the mo (concentrating on the properties themselves) so haven't got much 'feel' for the area yet. I did know Twickenham 20 ish years ago and it was kind of fine then but I am wondering if it is nicer now?

I don't need swanky-ness, just a nice town centre or high street where I can stroll with a baby and grab a coffee, pop to shops etc. I work from home so will be very very locally-based indeed, no escaping on train to central London for me! I do love the green open spaces round the area but do need to feel not too cut off IYSWIM.

We looked briefly at St Margarets but it seems pricier, the train is slower and though it was gorgeous there I did wonder if I would feel it was a little bit too villagey for my tastes...

We are looking at places kind of in between Strawberry Hill and Twickenham, does anyone know if this is a nice area? Also I know nothing about SH itself, is there anything there (small high street? shops?) or is it mostly residential?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I am quite laid up with pelvic pain at the mo and it's going to be hard for us to get to the area for a nose around for several weeks, maybe not even before Xmas...

Thanks v much indeed!!

TW123 Sat 17-Nov-12 17:40:31

I know the area well
the train from strawberry hill is much slower than from twickenham (40 mins to waterloo vs 22, though some faster ones in the evening). Also there are 4 trains/hour but these come at 07,08,37,38 so in reality only 2, though again more in the rush hour.
strawberry hill is mostly residential. the "centre" is really just the station and a few shops around it. It is a lovely area. Teddington is nicer than Twickenham so you have all the benefits of Teddington in easy reach with the advantage of the fast train from twickenham.
The schools are great. It's full of families. The nicest part of twickenham imo.
ask away!

Everhart Mon 19-Nov-12 08:19:07

Thank you!
We have been considering Teddington too as we've heard the centre is nicer there than Twickenham but our budget seems to go a lot less far in Teddington (a schools thing? maybe?)
Need to look at the map but are there areas of Teddington where you'd be within walking distance of Twickenham station instead? But still nice "Teddington' ish areas?
Thanks again!

TW123 Mon 19-Nov-12 09:42:04

No not really, Strawberry Hill is probably your best bet - walking distance to both Twickenham and Teddington.
Teddington is a much nicer town centre than Twickenham.

TW123 Mon 19-Nov-12 09:43:23

The schools in both Twickenham and Teddington are excellent so i don't think that's the difference. Teddington is prettier and has always been v expensive.

Everhart Mon 19-Nov-12 09:50:44

Thanks so much - I do fear that Teddington may be out of our reach but we are keeping an eye on it...
Is Twickenham town centre that bad, or just not as nice as the surrounding areas...?

TW123 Mon 19-Nov-12 10:04:46

no it isn't bad at all, just a busy thoroughfare. crazy on rugby days...

drinae Mon 19-Nov-12 10:17:03

@everhart you do need to come and get a feeling for the areas, sooner rather than later smile

After one year of living here, I can def say I prefer Teddington over Twickenham even though it's villagey. A lovely village though smile

Having said that, I go to the local cafes and restaurants but I do grocery shopping online. Kingston or Richmond for clothes and other shopping. I go to the Kingston farmers market to get fresh produce.

(That might change as there is a farmers market being piloted in Teddington this weekend and if that goes well, it might become a permanent fixture).

You do need to move as close to the school you want as possible - 500m is probably safe although you never know these days, the cutoff distance keeps getting smaller.

Other areas to consider: Hampton Wick, Fulwell (the latter being a bit cheaper), or even Hampton (transport options here are not as good though).

TW123 Mon 19-Nov-12 12:03:48

It's going to come down to budget, what are you thinking?
you get much more for your money in Hampton, but if your dh wants a fairly easy commute Hampton is unlikely to suit.
Kingston might be an option?

PegWuffington Wed 09-Jan-13 22:22:06

I second everything said so far, I'm in SH and love the fact I can wander down to Teddington high street so easily. Also you are guaranteed a seat on the train into Waterloo even in commuter rush hours, which was a huge selling point for me!

Twix45 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:00:38

Hi, if budget is an issue the end of Twickenham I live in, close to Twickenham Green is within easy walking distance to Whittton station which is on the faster Twickenham line so much better for commuting. Prices are much lower especially if you go for a 30s house and you are still close to Twickenham and Strawberry Hill, even Teddington if you like a long walk! It's very family orientated with a good local playground and park nearby

SHMumof2 Wed 13-Mar-13 20:47:27

Hi, we live in Strawberry Hill and love it. The commute is longer, but as mentioned you always get a seat and it is more relaxed. Plus there is a fast train in the evening that goes from Waterloo to Strawberry Hill in twenty minutes. Personally very fond of Twickenham and think it loses out a bit unfairly to Teddington! Church Street is very pretty, a little cobbled street just off the main drag and a lovely walk down by the river. It has a wider selection of shops eg Waitrose and M&S etc plus baby and pram friendly coffee shops H&H do great coffee and have a kids corner.
Strawberry Hill station has no steps so if you like to get out and about with a pram it is easier than Teddington, Twickenham and St Margaret's.

Good luck in your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now