ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

moving t0 Kew-schools

(6 Posts)
Biboda Fri 02-Aug-13 08:09:56

Hi there!

My husband and I have moved in to Kew from Ireland just now. We have 3 children 12 (boy), 8.5 (girl), and 5 (boy). Trying to find an available place in school seems quite challenging at this time.
Primary schools: The nearest school to us is Queens CoE which seems quite good but I don't know if we can get a place (or 2) in it. Next ones are Kew Riverside, Windham, and Darell. All but the last might be full and I'm quite concerned about Darell given its ofsted report.
Secondary schools: The nearest is Christ's, then RPA, Orleans, Grey court. However not sure if there's a place in any but RPA which has some conflicting reviews even here at this forum.

The biggest problem is that there's no one to speak to in the schools before the year starts so we have no good way either to get an impression of the schools or of the chance to get a place.

Any thoughts about the schools above?

Thanks,
Dee

DonsDrapers Fri 02-Aug-13 22:04:33

Windham is a nursery school so takes children only for 1 year before they start school, so the children are aged 3-4.

You will need to contact Richmond Borough for admissions info so shouldn't be a problem that the schools are closed (except of course that you are unable to visit).

I would imagine nearly all schools are full for primary as they are hugely oversubscribed especially for your youngest. Darrel has improved a lot (satisfactory to good rating), but I have not heard yet how admissions are for this year.

I fear you may not have huge choice of where to go but best bet to get in touch with Richmond Admissions.

Biboda Sat 03-Aug-13 08:53:04

thank you!
any thoughts on RPA?

DonsDrapers Sat 03-Aug-13 09:10:20

My kids are little still so I'm not sure about secondary..

seriouslycantthinkofaname Tue 06-Aug-13 21:00:05

From personal experience/friends, I can vouch for Queen's and Kew Riverside - it might just be tough to get a place at this stage but there is always some movement. As DonsDrapers said, you should contact the council.

Re secondary schools, Orleans is good, Christ's is fine (been improving). Don't know much about RPA other than the various comments on MN/the odd friend - it feels like it's getting better but I don't think it's quite as good as the others just yet.

AbsintheAndChips Tue 20-Aug-13 23:14:01

Why are you concerned about Darell's Ofsted? It was rated Good in all categories under the new much tougher regime recently. Holy Trinity and Kew Riverside are also rated Good.

My daughter is at Darell and is absolutely thriving, working way above her age-related expectations and, more importantly, is fantastically happy and has loads of friends.

There are genuinely no really bad primary schools in this particular area so you shouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now