Local Talk

Sheen Mount Primary School

(5 Posts)
SheenMountInfo Sat 31-Aug-13 21:24:03

Hi,

We are considering to put our 2 kids to this school (DD5, DS3) - we currently live in France - and we are preparing our move.

We like this school from what we see on the website - and Ofsted reports, locrating etc...

We are curious about the social aspect of the school - we used to live in Central London for many years and enjoyed it - but all we know of Richmond is Kew Garden and Richmond Park.

Apart from good quality of teaching - we want our kids to make friends and have a sense of community outside the school - possibly have friends in the street.

Is the fact that we are both foreigners going to be a problem to achieve this for our children? Is the community in this area closed or open to outsiders? I have read some bad comments on Richmond as being too posh etc... and was wondering if this was truly the case.

Thanks

WantMyKidsToMakeFriendsMum

AbsintheAndChips Mon 02-Sep-13 09:26:12

If you don't want posh, I suspect Sheen Mount isn't for you! It has a tiny catchment, confined to houses that cost upwards of a few million quid! Have a look at some of the other schools in Richmond, too. There are no bad primary schools in the local area - they all have their different strengths. I have found Richmond a very friendly area to live in (am near North Sheen).

muminlondon2 Mon 02-Sep-13 14:19:18

All schools in Richmond and East Sheen are very good, and oversubscribed. As Absinthe says, houses are so astronomically expensive on that part of London that you will indeed find that you are not alone as foreigners because there are lots of expats renting flats, but it's expensive to buy a family house and stay long term.

New2Kew Tue 03-Sep-13 21:54:21

You will easily make lots of friends in this area - there are lots of international families living here and also plenty of extra curricular clubs for them to make local friends, plus fantastic local play parks. It is true that it is a moneyed area but there are also lots of down to earth families simply enjoying a great family friendly area to live in. Bienvenue!

seriouslycantthinkofaname Wed 04-Sep-13 19:56:01

I don't think Richmond is too posh. Both my partner and I are foreigners and have fitted in fine. Yes, there are some very rich people but a lot of regular folks as well, especially at the states schools. There are lots if good state primary schools in the area, of which Sheen Mount is one. Others include Vineyard, Kew Riverside, Marshgate and Queen's. You do need to line pretty close to your choice if choice though to have any chance ( and some like Queen's have faith requirements).

I certainly wouldn't let concerns over poshness put you off - it is a fantastic area and has lots of foreigners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now