Local Talk

RPA or Christ's?

(54 Posts)
QBean Sun 29-Sep-13 21:10:21

DD will be starting secondary in 2015 from an excellent local primary in Kew. We are considering both private and state but given our great experience with DD's primary (and the enormous cost or private secondary) we hope to continue on the state route and our two most likely options are RPA/Christ's. Every year a growing number of kids from DD's school head to Christ's and I have heard good things about it. I was very impressed with the leadership team, facilities at RPA at last week's open day but have heard very little about this school. I would be grateful for any info on these schools from parents with first hand knowledge...Thanks!

One4TheRd Sat 26-Oct-13 07:32:10

For what it's worth they are sending her home some Latin work to do over half term!! Not at all what I was expecting!

Nelsonelson Sat 26-Oct-13 15:53:16

You would have to ask them for their results for girls only to be able to make a comparison with Waldegrave. Across the country girls do better so that makes girl only schools appear better than mixed schools which normally publish the combined figures

One4TheRd Sun 27-Oct-13 10:55:58

I have never heard of Waldegrave school as I live in Putney, but yes, their results are very impressive indeed! You are right about girls achieving higher then boys and RPA is a slightly boy heavy school. I think that if the year on year improvement continues, and I believe that it will due to the provisions for the current Y7 8 &9, then it will be a serious contender in the borough. I am really excited for my daughter to be a part of it!

QBean Mon 28-Oct-13 06:35:18

Thanks Nelsonnelson, interesting point- I will keep that in mind when comparing coed vs single sex.

One4therd- you made me laugh! That's fantastic DD will be studying her Latin, just how you both envisaged spending her half term I'm sure(-;

muminlondon2 Mon 28-Oct-13 10:39:00

You can see results for girls/boys 2012 on the performance tables website. Look for the 'English as additional language and gender' tab and you can check Ebacc, progress in Maths/English and average point scores. It gets updated in January with this year's results.

One4TheRd Mon 28-Oct-13 16:36:12

Thanks for that muminlondon...what a lot of info! It mostly seems to be from 2011 when you look at the results in detail. It will be interesting to see if the streaming they have put in place will have an impact over the coming years...I got the impression that they are really pushing the attainment through KS3 and this should hopefully spill over into future results.

My fingers are crossed as my daughter starts next week!

The children with "low prior attainment" are pin pointed straight away and are receiving lots of additional help which I don't believe was in place before. From what I gather the "high prior attainment" children are also being pushed so I would expect the "Value added score" to improve.

Not sure where the Latin fits in to all of this!!! grinwink

muminlondon2 Mon 28-Oct-13 18:03:44

Yes, it's too early to use 2012 GCSE data to assess RPA proprly since it became an academy. There had been a lot of faffing about by politicians in deciding the sponsor when that intake started. 2013 data will be more useful.

Whatever the current years 7-9 are doing gives a clearer idea of the direction of the school it sounds promising. Good luck.

One4TheRd Sat 09-Nov-13 07:42:01

Just to say that my daughter has had an amazing first week! I haven't seen her this happy in a while. She seems to have made quite a few friends and she thinks everyone is really friendly! Long may it last!

wheresthebeach Sun 24-Nov-13 22:55:45

Glad to hear such positive things. I was impressed by open day but have since been told that the police are called daily to the school. Does anyone know if this is the case or why people think this?

localone Mon 25-Nov-13 14:18:03

Wheres the beach: I am a parent at this school and I am offended by this comment. This is so untrue - ask the other parents. I wonder why you would listen to idle gossip and then post it up here?

You might not be aware that all the schools have a PCSO attached to them - and the one for RPA told me last year that although he is hardly ever at the school he is glad he is attached to RPA because the kids are lovely and much better behaved than many of the kids he has to deal with in this borough.

One4TheRd Mon 25-Nov-13 14:53:04

I have a feeling that if the police were called there daily my DD would have burst through the door telling me all about it!! She would have found that very exciting!! Just school play auditions and someone falling off the trampoline so far I'm afraid!

wheresthebeach Mon 25-Nov-13 18:34:56

Thank you One - a helpful response!

As I said Loca I was impressed by the school but worried when I heard the other feedback. So...check on Mumsnet. Don't know why you've taken it so personally.

QBean Wed 27-Nov-13 22:12:22

One4TheRd how is your daughter getting on?

One4TheRd Thu 28-Nov-13 06:25:48

Hi QBean, she is really loving it. They have big exams coming up next week and unfortunately for her some of them will be covering topics she hasn't done before. All of the teachers have been understanding and advised her what to brush up on but basically not to worry too much. They have also been very understanding about her needing to miss some afternoons for rehearsals for a show she is taking part in outside of school...luckily the HOY 8 is also head of drama. So far everything is very positive and such a long way away from how she was feeling at her old school. grin

Sheenee Thu 09-Jan-14 16:19:49

Hi. How did things go for the rest of the term - I've heard more good things from neighbours and others with children there but wanted to see if that stacked up with what others have found

One4TheRd Sat 11-Jan-14 15:54:41

Hi Sheenee, she is loving it and very happy. There is parents evening this Tuesday so that will be my first opportunity to speak with teachers. Saying that, I have had great email communication with a few teachers and I am really happy so far. There has been a choice of school trips this year, Amsterdam and Berlin, and the take up on the trips was the best they have had in awhile, so that is another positive. A new drama suite and new canteen have just opened and all in all no problems at all.

RichmondTeddy Sun 12-Jan-14 16:53:10

Fantastic to hear that she has settled in so well.

Sheenee Mon 13-Jan-14 18:34:04

That's great news - how's it going academically? You mentioned your DD was in the top set in her previous school - has she been well looked after in this respect as well.

One4TheRd Wed 15-Jan-14 19:09:34

There is a clear set up with regards to ability and DD is in the higher set. All of the teachers I have spoken to seem very aware of her capabilities and where they expect her to be by the end of the year etc. I was really pleased with their feedback, even though she's only been there a short time. This term will be much better to see how she is pushed and taught as the exams in May will reflect a whole terms work, rather then just a few weeks. So far homework has been about what I would expect from any school, and she is enjoying all of it. For me, the fact that she has met a lovely bunch of girls, and boys, that she is friends with, I couldn't ask for anything more!

Sheenee Sat 18-Jan-14 11:50:26

That's great to hear - glad she's enjoying it so much.

QBean Fri 24-Jan-14 21:27:37

One4TheRd, thanks for keeping us in the loop, very pleased to hear your DD is enjoying it so! Can I ask if she ever mentions discipline being an issue in classes in terms of low level disruption? I got the impression they run a tight ship but would be interested to hear first hand.

One4TheRd Sun 26-Jan-14 00:15:17

It's something I ask her about often!! From what she tells me there is far less disruption in lessons then there was in her previous (outstanding/all girls) school. Teenagers will always "chat", but people are not regularly sent out of lessons for bad behaviour, though she does find some of the boys annoying! She is able to complete a lot of work in lessons, leading her to having less to do at home - some homework can be completing what they have started in the lesson. I can't speak about the other classes though - I don't want to imply that the lower sets are more disruptive, but there are definitely some "characters" in other classes that she speaks about! But like I say, all very positive for us at the moment. Private would never be an option for us, financially or otherwise, and I feel that this school is giving her the best of both worlds! ANY part in the school production of Wiz, will be the icing on the cake!

QBean Sun 26-Jan-14 22:11:31

Music to my ears! I do hope she gets a part in the Wiz!

Parents at DD's school and other local primaries recently invited for a wine and cheese evening to get to know RPA. Very impressed with their initiative, one of questions was why should your DC go here and not to an independent? Again, impressed with how spot on they are, and excited by what I see on website. I am looking forward to the evening!

Had experience of having to drive recently to a popular out of London independent and was shocked by how far it was, I had been worried about trek from Kew to RPA- as although it's not too far there is no direct public transport route, but I think I have been spoiled by primary school on doorstep and need to get things in perspective!

One4TheRd Mon 27-Jan-14 13:31:00

I think that by the time they reach Y7 they are far more able to travel then you might think! DD has been travelling to and from the National Theatre via Waterloo station since August on her own (part of a show there). I only pick her up after evening performances. Her previous school was two bus rides away. They just get on with it and meet up with friends on the way. I find that it pushes DD in the morning as she doesn't want to miss everyone at the bus stop! The oyster card is like a right of passage!!!

Sheenee Mon 27-Jan-14 17:45:25

QBean - do you know what date the evening is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now