St Richard Reynolds High School - any SRR parents out there?

(17 Posts)
QBean Sun 18-Jan-15 20:14:27

DD and I loved this school on open day but don't know any current pupils/parents. It's a new state school where DD would be their third intake. DD has passed exams to interview stage at LEH and KGS and has a good chance at StRR as she fulfills church criteria. If we do indeed have a choice it would be so helpful to hear insight into StRR. She is super sporty and has thrived in her current - excellent -state primary.
I have posted this on main site too- apologies for repetition.

QBean Sat 21-Feb-15 14:57:08

Me again, desperate for any insights as we will needing to be making a decision between going down the independent route and (hopefully)SRR within a day of finding out whether we have a place at SRR....anyone out there? Thanks!!

LProsser Sat 21-Feb-15 20:56:14

I'm not a parent but my next door neighbour is planning to send her son there. He is very shy but quite clever and she wants him to go to as small a school as possible. Her children are at a local Catholic primary and she hasn't heard anything to put her off. I think she knows people whose older children are there. If your daughter is not at a Catholic primary do you have any friends or neighbours with children at one as they will probably know someone? I think the catchment area is pretty broad at the moment.

QBean Sat 21-Feb-15 22:15:40

Thanks LProsser. Oddly I know lots of people at church who know of someone who attends- and have only heard good things -but yet to find someone with direct experience, I guess not surprising as it only has two years worth of kids! I think the catchment might be narrowing to Richmond based Catholics - when I phoned to enquire about DC's chances in October lady said they had so many applicants they didnt even have the office staff to alphabetise them!

BayJay2 Tue 24-Feb-15 21:31:07

Hi Qbean. It looks like SRR are being inspected this week, which might help your decision if you can hang on a couple of weeks for the report, but if not then you should at least be able to keep tabs on the Ofsted parentview responses because all SRR parents will have been invited to participate in that in the run up to the inspection.

Elisabetta2214 Sat 28-Feb-15 20:34:33

How of you know they are going to be inspected soon BayJay2? I thought ofsted were not supposed to be giving notice of inspections nowadays

BayJay2 Sat 28-Feb-15 20:52:31

Because it says so on their website Elisabetta.

BayJay2 Sat 28-Feb-15 20:58:13

Or at least it did earlier in the week - schools are generally told a day or so beforehand, and send a note out to parents to fill in the parentview survey.

QBean Sun 01-Mar-15 15:55:14

Thanks Bayjay! I will keep an eagle eye out. Tricky though as we need to make a decision by this Thursday.

mikkii Tue 03-Mar-15 04:13:39

Did you make a decision Qbean? We have just found out DS has a place at SRR. We do know one girl who is currently in year 8, and we know of one other girl (from his dancing school) who is also going there.

QBean Tue 03-Mar-15 07:05:58

Hi mikki
Next two days we need to make our decision. Leaning towards SRR

mikkii Tue 03-Mar-15 22:42:00

We really liked it. Private was financially not an option for us. We are awaiting dyslexia testing. DS has previously been tested (by the school) and found to be borderline, however the school gave failed to provide support, including "forgetting" to tell his year 6 teacher about his condition. After a somewhat heated conversation with both his teacher and the SENCO (neither of whom had been made aware) we are now re-testing to see how he now performs against his peers.

His sister is also being tested.

If he needs help, I want his primary to deal with it before transfer.

Elisabetta2214 Wed 04-Mar-15 09:29:45

I know a lot of parents at St James' primary school are very enthusiastic about it, and everyone who goes to the open evenings are impressed, my feeling is that it has a lot of support and will do well. I am watching it closely as am considering SRR primary school for my youngest in a couple of years time.

QBean Tue 29-Dec-15 12:15:49

Just want to say that in the end we chose this school over excellent indie options. My child is in year 7 and we are thrilled with it. Happy to be PM'd if anyone has a similar quandary come Feb/March!

RichmondTeddy Wed 06-Jan-16 08:41:09

Thanks for the update Qbean. I find it really helpful when people come back and provide an update on how they are getting on.

Angie1904 Sun 12-Jun-16 18:23:41

Hi all, it would be good to have update on the school? How did it go? Any happy parent/children out there? Thanks!

mikkii Fri 15-Jul-16 19:43:53

Hi Angie1904, we are just finishing year 7. It hasn't all been plain sailing for my son, but I have been really happy with the pastoral care at the school, and my son loves it. I was told tonight he has been appointed a music ambassador, we are really happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now