St Catherine's Twickenham - any views?

(11 Posts)
smilesandsun Tue 02-Jun-15 11:43:39

Hi,

I'm researching schools for my daughter (yr3). The prospectus reads well but I have no other knowledge of the school.

I'd really like to hear any views.

Thx

Icimoi Sun 07-Jun-15 21:19:35

There's a short thread on it here

bookwormA1 Sat 12-Sep-15 18:21:00

Seems very nice, the students are well turned out and very polite, and has a good local reputation. I think it's round the corner from swankier Radnor House, but St Catherine's is an older and more established school, I think.

tessasjazzhands Sun 20-Sep-15 21:24:19

Hi I went there for secondary school and loved it. Very small classes and lots of clubs. I was involved in string group, gospel choir, chamber choir, orchestra, netball and hockey. Lots of teachers have left but the head is still there, Sister Paula who is lovely. The only downside is it is really strict but that's not a bad thing for example uniform, homework, being punctual etc. Hope this helps. Tessa

GK88 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:45:43

I hear it's a great school including the prep department!

HamptonHogwarts Sun 13-Mar-16 10:34:38

Agreed, I've done a bit more research on it recently, and have spoken to some really happy Mums about the school...I have coached their sons for English and am always interested in the local schools...we got talking about other local schools and this name keeps popping up, in a very good way! I think what is nice about St Cat's is it is small, well run, and well resourced. Happy girls and a caring environment. I think it will continue to to better and better, so good news for everyone!

Sunflower864 Tue 24-May-16 23:42:46

Does anyone know what the subscription rate is/how difficult it is to get into?

Icimoi Wed 01-Jun-16 16:18:29

Fee details are here - www.stcatherineschool.co.uk/Fees.

wholemealchips Thu 23-Jun-16 22:45:50

I don't think it is very academic but it is a handy location and the feel of the school seemed friendly. Unsure of the professionalism of the management though. A friend went for an interview there recently and was treated appallingly. A senior manager was indiscreet and said a number of inappropriate things, said friend didn't get the job and the school did not even bother to contact them. Which is sadly becoming more the case these days. Nonetheless the girls themselves seem well looked after. Has a nineties feel to the place. Convenient location and certainky better than Radnor, which seems a shrine to ageism.

Sunflower864 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:26:42

Thanks wholemeal.

I was more interested in what the competition is like for places? Our girl isn't that academic and I don't want to send her out to fail a load of entrance exams as it'll just kill her confidence!

wholemealchips Sat 23-Jul-16 23:04:07

I think they are quite wide ranging with academic skill. The spread is braid, some very able and enthusiastic girls who boost up the less able but hardworking and determined girls. It would be a good choice for a shy girl who knows she isn't too band right now but is prepared to put the work in. I've worked at a similar school to this one and, by sixth form, the gap has mat towed hugely and she will surely get her good grades. The school is small...big advantage. Management indiscreet and unprofessional...disadvantage. Have seen worse teams and all the girls seemed happy. I think mixed academic range schools are forced to have varied lessons and a more caring outlook. They cannot pick and choose like other places which are basically hothouses. Several applications in from Hampton juniors and Staines Prep this year. Sure your DD would cope admirably. Girls do better taught together, I think. Let me know if you need tuition..know a couple of good tutors in Hampton area who have coached girls for one hour a week and really boosted confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now