Plane noise

(11 Posts)
PatTW10 Mon 25-Apr-16 08:34:38

Hi All!

We are thinking of moving to Richmond. Have always been in love with the area and now finally going for it.

My only worry, and I can't seem to find much information online, is the noise pollution. We're looking for flats in the Richmond Hill area and would be grateful if locals can advise on the plane noise levels there and whether the new Heathrow third runway would have a major impact.

Many thanks!

propitia Mon 25-Apr-16 08:45:01

Local MP Zac Goldsmith promised to resign if a third runway was approved at Heathrow...he's noticeably less vocal on the subject since running for Mayor of London hmm

I've grown up with the sound (lived next to Richmond Park & travelled around the borough by day) and I think that most people become immune to it fairly quickly. Are you from elsewhere in London on the Heathrow area? If so, you'll have a good idea of whether you can adjust. If not, triple glazing & earplugs at night if you're set on Richmond Hill smile

PatTW10 Mon 25-Apr-16 08:56:36

Thanks propitia

We've been living in Hampstead for a few years now so have never been exposed to plane noise before.

I thought it wouldn't be as bad as you're describing it to be honest smile My main worry is at night and needing earplugs is quite worrying shock

propitia Mon 25-Apr-16 09:04:45

Sorry...I don't mean to make it sound terrible - I rarely notice it, though I remember Concorde taking off in the past. Lots of people commented on the lovely peace when the ash cloud prevented planes from flying but I never noticed airplane noise being absent blush as I'm so used to it. We have double glazing & DP's snoring bothers me far more!

PatTW10 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:43:57

No please it's best to hear an honest answer than have someone paint a rosy unrealistic picture smile

I'm sure we'll have double glazing and like you say it's just a matter of getting used to it I guess. I keep thinking that surely it's not that bad otherwise people would have just left the area and house prices would be much cheaper than what they are at the moment.

sheilafisher Mon 25-Apr-16 09:49:12

It really depends exactly where you are. A few hundred meters one way or another makes a huge difference. We are on the flight path only very occasionally, but when we are, it can be disruptive. (IE you can't hear the TV whilst they pass over). There are some areas of Kew where is it constant and oppressive.

I can't remember it's name but there is a live flight tracking website that shows you the exact routes being taken. It may be worth a look.

PatTW10 Mon 25-Apr-16 10:00:34

Thanks sheilafisher. I'm focusing on flats around the Vineyard school as I hope to send my daughter there. Any idea what it's like in that neighbourhood? I'll try to find that website it sounds pretty useful.

sheilafisher Mon 25-Apr-16 12:40:29

I think this may be it. If you zoom it in, you can see it street by street. I have vague memories of one what showed it over time. too.

pictures of tiny planes!

PatTW10 Mon 25-Apr-16 12:44:12

Thanks sheila that's actually the one I've been looking at for the last 30 mins... lol there is something very entertaining about watching these tiny planes flying around ! Especially when it's dead quiet at work.... wink

Cazz81 Tue 26-Apr-16 15:11:46

We are also moving to the area and worry about the noise. Thanks for the link . Super useful .

ceeveebee Tue 26-Apr-16 15:26:31

We lived in the Old Deer Park area and it was incredibly noisy, from 5am onwards. But it tended to be for 1 week on/1 week off, and yes you do get used to it. Not sure about Richmond Hill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now