Sheen Tutor waiting list (yes, I know....)

(6 Posts)
Sheenster Thu 12-May-16 19:18:30

Hello, please forgive this post. Even I'm rolling my eyes at me......
So. Here's the deal. I'm a first time Mum. I have a 7 year old daughter attending a lovely state primary in Sheen. She's happy. I'm happy. But there are whispers in the playground.... From more experienced Mums who have done this all before.....and they are discussing.....TUTION for secondary school entrance exams.
My daughter seems to be doing well at school. But I'm conscious of the fact that if I want her to go to a selective private secondary she will have to sit an entrance exam. The same exam that children who have been prepped by their private primary schools will sit. I'm not at all sure where she will go for secondary. I want to see which school is the best fit nearer the time. BUT. I don't want to stick my head in the sand about it either.
Would any of you kind, knowledgable, more experienced Sheen Mothers offer up some personal recommendations for a good, local tutor to prep for secondary entrance exams? I don't want her to start until year 5 but I'm aware that there will potentially be waiting lists.
Someone whispered the name of a magical lady called Sue Williams in my ear the other day. But didn't have contact details. Can anyone help?
I honestly would be very grateful. Thank you.

Shreyasarin Mon 27-Jun-16 21:46:59

Following... Did you find a tutor? I'm interested too

Redit16 Wed 06-Jul-16 11:17:06

We use Laidlaw.

They don't come to the house - you have to go to Christ Church church hall, opposite Sheen Mount, so very local.

Friends use SchoolSmart as well and are pleased with them

wholemealchips Sat 23-Jul-16 23:26:01

I would say go for the tuition. I taught at a top indie boys' for 10 years and girls' for three. Basically, a good coach will tell you early on what their chances are. I've coached lots of state primary children who have gone in to get offers at Hampton School, St Paul's and LEH. Indie primary schools do push them hard, but the secondaries are looking for a range of things. As parents you want the best and it is a pain having to consider coaching, but it's a focussed one to one hour of time dedicated to the child. I think it makes the world of difference, and narrows the gap between state or indie primary competition. I live the job I do and girls get so much confidence and raised self esteem from the process, as well as confidence talking to adults. This helps with that last hurdle...the interview.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Thu 01-Sep-16 06:34:28

The best people to ask are the parents of Y6 pupils when they get the school offers in Feb/March.

PrepByPost Mon 17-Oct-16 22:53:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now