Email to Zac Goldsmith re Brexit

(3 Posts)
russell234 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:57:09

Hello Richmond Mumsnetters
I'm a parent who lives locally (in Kew) and I'm desperately worried about the impact of Brexit on our city. I've sent the email below to Zac Goldsmith, pressing upon him the importance of doing everything possible to keep the UK inside the Single Market as Brexit negotiations unfold. If it strikes a chord and you feel moved to, please cut and paste it and send your own email to Zac -
Thanks everyone

Dear Zac,

The British people have voted, by a small margin, to leave the European Union. But they have given no instruction on the terms of departure. There is no electoral mandate to leave the Single Market.

Leaving on the wrong terms would pose a serious threat to the jobs and livelihoods of your constituents. It would disrupt their lives and undermine the diverse culture they cherish as residents of a great global city.

All reputable commentators agree that:

- Losing full access to the Single Market would harm London’s economy.

- Losing passporting rights for services would harm London’s economy.

- Free movement of people to and from the EU has enriched not just London’s economy, but its culture and society.

Whatever your personal views, as my constituency MP you must stand up for jobs and livelihoods in our community. You must stand up for the diversity that enriches our community.

Please confirm that:

- You will vote against any use of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union without prior guarantees that Britain will negotiate to remain in the Single Market;

- You will vote against any arrangements for leaving the EU that also involve leaving the Single Market or the loss of passporting rights;

- You will make a clear public statement of your position that Britain should remain a member of the Single Market.

Yours sincerely,

tw11 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:58:34

Zac Goldsmith unfortunately voted Leave... which show how disconnected he is from his borough. ~ 70% of Richmond upon Thames voted Remain.

AbsintheAndChips Wed 06-Jul-16 09:04:21

I have already written to him and had a not particularly satisfactory reply. I didn't expect anything else, really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now