Turing House School - do your children go there?

(10 Posts)
Tummytuckrequired Wed 05-Oct-16 12:25:08

Living in the black hole of Strawberry Hill and looking at secondary schools for September 2017 for DS (we don't qualify for Teddington/SRR/Orleans etc). TA and Turing are the only two we are in catchment for. We are discounting TA for a raft of reasons, so we are going the private route for now (assuming he can get a place somewhere) but I am curious about Turing House. Mainly because it is new and the results (in terms of GCSE/ALevel/Ofstead etc) have not yet been proven. I know it is new, I know they have finally got a site organised etc... What I want to know is do your children go there? Are they happy, are you happy? Do you feel they are getting an excellent education? Our eldest daughter goes to Waldegrave and that school in our opinion is amazing (pastoral, educational focus, the results etc). Is Turing of the same ilk? Do you think Turing is here to stay and is not at risk at closing down in 5 years due to removal of investment or that teaching standards are not what they should be. I am in a panic - looking for your feedback? Good, bad and ugly! Thanks

Jellytoto Wed 05-Oct-16 21:28:33

My daughter is in y8 and we're thrilled with it. She's really happy and the standards seem high. Lots of extra curricular too. Why don't you go to one of the open evenings or mornings so you get to talk to the kids and teachers direct? It's the only way to get a feel for a school really.

Juliaclaire Thu 06-Oct-16 11:29:39

My son was part of Turning House's first intake and currently in year 8. This is a brilliant school. Dedicated and energetic staff. Strong leadership. The school is nurturing of both student potential and talent, with a wide range of extra-curricular activities to enhance a joy of learning and discovery. That said, there are clear behavioural expectations and I feel the students happily and maturely step up to the mark. With a strong community-feel, our family and my son couldn't be more delighted.

DorcasthePuffin Fri 07-Oct-16 01:05:23

I went to the open evening and was very impressed. That said, it won't be my first choice - because it's moving out to Whitton, and because it's overwhelmingly boys. But if for some reason we don't get our first choice I would be really happy for my dd to end up there.

Jellytoto Fri 07-Oct-16 15:00:50

I don't think my daughter's ever mentioned that there are more boys than girls and its hard to even notice at school events because the girls aren't shrinking violets and volunteer for everything in large numbers. I think she would have found a girls school more intimidating tbh and I know there are definitely some of her Turing friends who rejected that option because they wanted a mixed school. Horses for courses though if you're lucky enough to have a choice.

WhittonMum1 Fri 18-Nov-16 14:15:31

I know that they have finally got a site organised etc

A permanent school site has not been organised/finalised/secured. I'm surprised that parents are still being told that this is the case and stating it's moving out to Whitton as though it were a fact. It's simply not true.

"The EFA is liaising with Hounslow Council to secure a piece of land on Hospital Bridge Road with the intention of using this as the permanent site for Turing House School. As this land is not yet secure, the EFA continues to consider and be open to other suitable sites." October 2016

FOI request

sheilafisher Fri 18-Nov-16 16:57:02

I have no idea how FOI requests work, but if a group of people individually submitted those questions separately, would they be more likely to be answered?

LProsser Fri 18-Nov-16 20:54:39

They should be answered whoever submits them unless they fall within one of the exemptions.

The whole situation does seem to be dragging on for a very long time and I wonder if Hounslow Council is demanding more money than the EfA is prepared to pay for the land.

sheilafisher Mon 21-Nov-16 10:32:23

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but I read the reason given for an incomplete response being that there were simply too many questions to answer. Hence my suggestion of multiple applications to more targeted or narrower questions.

WhittonMum1 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:32:55

I think that Hounslow Council have had some problems in the past and are probably being quite cautious this time around.

This article in the Guardian has a lot of information on the MOL land sold by Hounslow Council for a Free School. It's a complex process.

www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/28/free-schools-purchase-land-education-funding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now