Local Talk

Ladies, a little insight please for a complete foreigner. Totley versus Town?

(8 Posts)
TantrumTurtle Wed 06-Jul-11 00:21:18

It's official, we're moving to Sheffield, with 3 daughters, 3, 5, 7. We thought we'd move to Nether Edge [we're coming up from Hackney, London] cos its pretty and got stuff going on and a fairly obvious choice, nice houses.... Now we've seen a very nice house in Totley, huge garden and 2 mins from open countryside. The question is will I go mad? Will everyone have their nose in my business [not that there's anything to hide]? ie is there a village mentality, or is it really just another part of Sheffield like any other? Will we feel too far out of the action, ie will we always be apologising for living out there...? I guess schools are also part of the equation, Porter Croft versus one of the Totley primaries? Any guidance gratefully received. Tx

katz Wed 06-Jul-11 10:43:32

i don't know either area well at all - sorry. We're in S10 and i love that we're a short trip to the peaks and also a short trip into town. Broomhill and Crookes both have a decent selection of shops. School are good too.

I guess it depends on your budget.

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 06-Jul-11 18:46:53

I think both a superb areas but if you're thinking longer term I'd go for Totley as secondary provision for Nether Edge postcodes is not good whereas Totley is catchment for a really good school in Dore the name of which escapes me (but my friend teaches there and I know it is meant to be very good)

ellencofe Thu 07-Jul-11 20:51:46

I would second what Katz says, Crookes and Broomhill have a really good selection of local shops and are close to town and the peak, plus they have good schools and a good selection of busses.

I used to live in Nether Edge and it was lovely, but I have heard from friends that school catchment issues can be tricky.

Best of Luck.

Mochanso Wed 13-Jul-11 14:45:36

We live in Broomhall Park and love it. It's so central to everything. Don't think Nether Edge is that bad. It would have been our second choice. We moved up North few months ago (from Reading). Good luck with move and if you need a chat a fancy a coffee give me a buzz .

katz Mon 18-Jul-11 19:16:58

what did you decide?

waterrat Thu 27-Oct-11 15:24:26

I am thinking of moving from hackney to sheffield with the family - am a Londoner so it's a scary move...would love to know how it goes when you get up there..do post again!

TantrumTurtle Sat 05-Nov-11 22:31:10

We went for an amazing house in Totley with amazing open country outside our back door but buses into town. We're 8 weeks in and it's going great. I do miss my friends and feel like a foreigner but so far so good. Hackney was great but Sheffield has a lot going for it and I can't see we'll regret it, even if we miss the old smoke. Waterrat do get in touch if you want to know more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now