S10 Nursery: SHU or Lynda Ellis?

(7 Posts)
synchrotone Fri 05-Aug-16 22:12:37

Hi everyone - I'm new to Mumsnet and to Sheffield - moving up from down South in a couple of months. I'm trying to decide on a nursery for my 1 year old, and am deciding between Sheffield Hallam Uni nursery and Lynda Ellis. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on either/both? Pros or cons? Since I haven't moved yet, it's hard for me to visit, so any information I can get is much appreciated smile Thanks so much in advance!

DoodleAlley Fri 05-Aug-16 23:20:35

Have you considered the Old School House in crosspool or St Thomas Crookes? Both are outstanding nurseries according to ofsted and ice known people love them both.

synchrotone Sun 07-Aug-16 10:45:27

Those look great, thanks very much! Because I'm renting and probably moving within a year, after I know the neighbourhoods better, I hoped to keep the nursery close to my work place in Broomhill. But I'll certainly keep Old School nursery in mind (St. Thomas is apparently pre-school only...)

s42mum Sun 07-Aug-16 17:12:56

Lodge Moor nursery (confusingly in fulwood not lodge moor!) has a great reputation and several of my friends have had their children there

SheffieldSixer Sun 07-Aug-16 23:08:17

Hi all three of mine have been to the SHU nursery and I have recommended it to friends.
I can't comment on any where else as I decided to try SHU with the first and then stuck with it as was happy with it. I did visit others but liked the feel of this one.
I found the staff were very friendly and cared about my child and were happy to help at drop off and get my kids involved and settled as soon as possible. My kids have been up until age 7/8 during holidays and have been happy to do so.

A positive for SHU is that it operates (or did) on a term basis as it caters for students. So if you do not need childcare at Easter/summer you do not have to pay for these days they are an optional extra.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

synchrotone Tue 09-Aug-16 14:48:45

Thanks for the suggestion of Lodge Moor, s42mum!

And thanks SheffieldSixer for your endorsement of SHU. I certainly got the impression that it was a good nursery. I was a little worried about the numbers, though, since it's a bigger place than we are used to and was worried that our baby wouldn't get as much attention. Did yours form good attachments to the key workers, and has there been much staff turn-over? Did you feel that the management is good?

SheffieldSixer Mon 29-Aug-16 09:10:37

Hi mine formed great attachments to staff and all staff seem to know all kids. They were all helpful at drop off in engaging my kids and enabling easy drop offs.
Staff were the selling point of this place for me. I also found it nice to have a male member of staff who my son loved.
There wasnt that much staff turnover but there was some as we were there for 9 years or so. We left just before they moved back into the refurbished building so cant really comment on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now