Local Activities for 5 & 8 yo Near Ellesmere/Oswestry

(3 Posts)
TheHuntingOfTheSarky Wed 13-Jul-16 20:38:13

Hi, I'm not Shropshire based but my elderly parents are, they live near Dudleston Heath. At the end of next week my DM is having a knee replacement operation and my DF is going into respite care as he has vascular dementia.

I will be travelling from my home in Surrey up to stay with DM for a week once she is out of hospital and need to take my two DDs with me. They are 5 and 8 and I will be filling the car with toys/books/DVDs/jigsaws etc to help to keep them occupied over the week, but wondered if anyone could suggest places to visit? We go there fairly frequently but normally only for 2 nights at a time and they're happy to stay indoors or in the garden for such a short period of time - I don't want to make them do so for a week though!

We'd only be able to be out for 3 hours or so each day as my DM will need caring for and I don't want to leave her alone.

Grateful for any suggestions!!

tasteslikechicken Thu 14-Jul-16 08:51:56

Hi hunting, park hall is good if they are outdoorsy and like animals etc, crazy knights is a good soft play area if you can cope with them! Whittington castle is quite nice. Go to Trevor and book a boat ride across the aquaduct, world heritage sight. They also have a nice little museum at the other end. Swimming pool in Wrexham is a winner for my two. British ironwork centre in Oswestry would kill a couple of hours. If they like a walk you could start on the canal path at Ellesmere telco, walk to the mere and go to the playground there and then walks back, that'd fill your three hours, feed the geese etc when at the playground.
I'll think a bit more and post if I come up with anymore. Good luck with your week. I'm assuming your do will be using the Oswestry hospital, one of the best in the country for this kind of work.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Fri 15-Jul-16 19:58:37

Those are brilliant ideas, especially the boat trip - thank you!

Yes she'll be at Oswestry, they did her hip a few years ago and her consultant is very good. Fingers crossed it will all go smoothly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now