(9 Posts)
pixiepie81 Mon 18-Apr-16 07:27:12

I moved back to the uk in december after living in France for 10 years... going through a messy divorce and child care battle in France with my soon to be froggy ex im now back here living near Yeovil with my 21 month old son... i tried some of the local mums groups and felt very left out... clearly these ladies have know each other since pregnancy and are not interrested in outsiders... I'm 36 and yet feel like im a school kid on her first day!!if anyone would be interrested in meeting up and giving me some faith in friendship that would be lovely! I know no one round here as my family and friends all live in France and i have friends in Hampshire so i feel pretty low and on my own! xxx charlie xx

Mominmamma Mon 18-Apr-16 12:16:43

hello Pixie. I didn't want to read and run. I'm a full time working mum to one 3yo with a SAHD. He too finds the local mums groups to be challenging and I am often the one that takes our son to activities where no one talks to us at all. I grew up round here left to live in London and returned with a baby. It seems like I am an outsider too now. Sorry to hear you are going through a messy divorce it must be quite stressful cross continents.

pixiepie81 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:59:42

hi Mominmamma goodness that is a long name lol yeah i wonder if its like this everywhere in the UK never had expƩriences like this before; yes the divorce is hell even worse with little to no friends to talk to ... so where do you two go? are you a single mother also? thanks for replying xx

misscph1973 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:31:09

Hi pixie, welcome back. I'm frm Denmark and I live in North Petherton, I have school age children and I work so I don't really get much time to meet new people.

I have also been to play groups (not in Somerset, in Berkshire where I lived before) where I felt like an outsider. But I have also been to really friendly groups where I got to know other mums quickly (mostly other foreign mums, though). So I guess my advice is that you should keep trying, look for other groups. Also look for FB groups? I am in a couple of local FB groups, and theSAHMs with younger children often meet up.

Both my kids play rugby and parents are obliged to stay during training and matches. Although I don't see them other than on rugby days, I have really benefitted from getting to know other parents this way, I guess because it was in a place where I didn't have social expectations so to speak.

Obviously you are in a different situation as your child is so young. So I am thinking that perhaps you could get involved in something? Volunteer?

It will be easier when your child starts pre school, then you'll have been there "from the start".

Mominmamma Tue 19-Apr-16 14:42:40

Too many m's I know. I'm not a single mum - I work full time but at the weekends I like to go out with my boy but because i work i don't have the opportunity to meet other mums so it can be a bit of a solitary existence. As misscph1973 says when your child starts preschool it is a lot easier to meet people plus you have a bit more time for you. Courses, clubs, exercise it's always easier to meet people doing something.
How about a toddler group like this?
I's quite like to go to that myself!

misscph1973 Wed 20-Apr-16 13:58:24

Libraries often have story time or other activities for small children and mums. I went to the library craft session for 4 years with my DCs, and it was a nice way to get out of the house and also meet people with less social stress. I got really friendly with the librarians and a couple of mums, and it's a great way to establish aa routine of going to the library, it's a great lifetime habit for your child.

LambethWalk Tue 03-May-16 23:22:46

Just wanted to say hi and add a few suggestions to those already mentioned. Hope you feel a bit more settled soon.

There are some listings in the Things to do section with groups to go to.

Also the Courtyard Cafe in Yeovil is another option

Weekly buggy walks

Helend80 Fri 15-Jul-16 23:39:31

Hi, Pixiepie81

I'm new to all this but thought I'd say hi after reading your thread. I know how it feels to feel exactly how your feeling and I have lived in the same area all my life, it's just my life took a different turn to that of my friends when I became a mum at 21. I'm now 36 with two boys a single mum and no real social life whatsoever. So although your story is slightly different as it must be daunting moving countries with a small child and not knowing anyone I'm your area. Anyway if your still needing your faith put back in friendship. I have a friendly ear. xHelenx

qwom Thu 11-Aug-16 19:19:14

Hope you've found some Yeovil friends! If you're still struggling - or want another friend - I live 20 mins from Yeovil in Somerton! šŸ˜Š

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now