Single mum to two boys, in need of some friends

(7 Posts)
Helend80 Wed 13-Jul-16 23:32:44

I feel a little silly doing this. As it kind of makes me feel like a bit of a loner. But since having my eldest son (who is now 14 years) at the age of 21, not many of my friends stuck around as they went off to Uni and then meeting my youngest Son's Dad (who is now my extremely difficult ex) and losing friends as he was so controlling in the years we were together and it was a very messy break up, which has led to years of continued nastiness from my ex..After 4 years on my own with my Son's I met my now brilliant and wonderful loving boyfriend who has changed my life for the better and I am the happiest I've ever been in my life except one area and that is the lack or non existent friends I actually have. He has such a wide vast circle of friends it makes me feel inadequate and ashamed that I don't have that. It probably sounds really pathetic a nearly 36 year old saying all this. My boyfriend works away all week and we see each other when we can as he has children from his previous marriage. So life gets lonely it being just me with my boys and I'd actually like to start making some friends for myself and start building a better social life for both myself and my boys. I have tried making friends with mums at my youngest Son's playgroup but it is extremely clicky and it makes me feel uncomfortable as I am older than most of the mum's there. I also get the feeling it can get quite bitchy and I don't want drama (I get enough of that from my ex) and as my face doesn't fit there mold so to speak, I only get spoken to when they want to..So it's not like I haven't tried to make friends. I'm not horrible person honest. Anyway that's my story so far..I don't want to come across needy lol That is not my intention.
If anyone is in need of a friend I've a friendly face ☺ and I'm a good listener. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings xxhelenxx

nilbyname Thu 14-Jul-16 08:30:00

Hello! Have you tried a different playgroup. There is a lovely parent/baby- preschooler singing group on Mondays at 10.30 at Norton Sub-Hamdon in the village?

My kids are in school now and that helps.

I am in between Yeovil and Taunton. Where a outs are you?

SomersetCarer Fri 15-Jul-16 07:11:49

It can be harder fitting in as a more 'mature' mum. I had my last at 39, so do know.

Where are you?

I am in West Somerset!

Helend80 Fri 15-Jul-16 23:16:51

Thanks nilbyname for the response. My youngest has just had his last day at playgroup today so a whole new chapter starts for him in September starting primary school but thank you for your suggestions. I've only recently passed my driving test, so I now have more options.
I live near to Sherborne on the Somerset /Dorset border.

Helend80 Fri 15-Jul-16 23:30:21

Hi Somersetcarter
Thanks for the response, it's appreciated
It certainly does make it harder being an older mum. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.
How old is your youngest, if you don't mind me asking?
I live in South Somerset on the Somerset /Dorset border near Sherborne

SomersetCarer Sat 16-Jul-16 08:07:24

My youngest is nearly 10 and I am nearly 49, with our birthdays 2 days apart!

SisterViktorine Sat 16-Jul-16 20:10:09

Hi there. I'm in Sherborne and same age as you. My DS (only DC) is 6 next month. We've only been here 2 years so don't really have local friends other than work.

PM me if you like :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now