(9 Posts)
Lewow30 Sun 25-Sep-16 10:51:03

Morning all, really need some help. Currently live in Ashford, Kent, which is a large town and busy, lots of people.
Husband has been offered a job in both Wells and Mid Somer Norton. We came down over the weekend feeling excited but Wells was a complete culture shock. We have 2 small boys and I'm worried they'll be bored by their teenage years. Could anyone advise an area where husband could commute from that's a little more built up. We looked at Taunton and Bath, Taunton too far and Bath too expensive. We're coming down again in a few weeks but really could do with some advise.
I appreciate the locals are fed up with answering questions about ppl relocating but I'm really stuck. And terrified. Making decisions when children are involved is so so scary. We'd be renting initially.
The first thing we noticed though was how friendly everyone is, what a great bunch. I'm aware a culture shock is inevitable but maybe somewhere that could break us in gently? All comments really appreciated.
Thank you so much.

qwom Sun 25-Sep-16 10:58:25

What are you asking for?
Children are very adaptable, more so than 'grown ups', they will cope and definitely have things to entertain themselves come their teenage years. Wells is a beautiful city. I suppose you could get closer to Bristol? That's not too far away and travel is pretty easy smile

Lewow30 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:05:52

Any advise on Frome, Mid Somer Norton and Radstock? Quite a few houses to rent there and affordable. I like they're not too far from Bath? Thanks again

HotFuzzy Sun 25-Sep-16 19:51:02

It depends what you're after. MSN/Radstock have less going on than Wells but are closer to Bath so if you want stuff on your doorstep you may be disappointed, but if you just want access to a bigger area then it'all be fine.

Housing will definitely be much more affordable in MSN than Wells. Read into that what you will...

whatstheplanphil Sun 25-Sep-16 20:18:58

I think out of all towns you've mentioned Wells is definitely the nicest, good transport links, good schools and nice area. It's close to Bristol, Bath and Cheddar. All the towns round here aren't very big really but there are things to do although you might have to drive.

nilbyname Sun 25-Sep-16 20:42:13

Wells and Frome are fantastic and tick a lot of boxes-
Great schools
Cultural with lots going on

If you want city life then Bristol. Otherwise you'll have to adjust!

AbigailsRevenge Sun 25-Sep-16 22:34:51

As HotFuzzy says - MSN is probably not the best place to relocate to. Radstock is slightly preferable but I would try Wells or Frome first.

Have a good look at Ofsted school reports before you make any decisions.

Oh, and one last thing - bear in mind that public transport out of the towns or after 6pm is sparse to non-existent.

Lewow30 Mon 26-Sep-16 00:07:15

Thank you everyone I really appreciate it. We'll spend a good few days in Wells to get a feel of it and will also look at Frome. We both drive so commuting shouldn't be a problem. I wish there was a book of life with all the answers.
Looking forward to coming back down. Thanks again.

Sinotti Tue 04-Oct-16 15:41:00

Hi we relocated at the beginning of the year from Surrey, we are in wells with a 2 and 4 yr old so far we love our new surroundings and find there is so much more to do that's accessible. We don't have teens yet but the ones around here seem happy. As pp said there are plenty of public transport links through wells for them.
Good luck with your move and house hunt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now