Local Talk

overwhelmed in Seattle!!

(13 Posts)
jamsamsmum Wed 19-Oct-11 05:51:49

I am an expat Brit (from SE London) moving with family back to the UK. My husband and has never lived in the UK and my two boys have only ever known the US. SO happy to come home after 8 years and we will be moving to Hampshire sometime in November. Husband's job will be in Southampton and struggling to pinpoint an area to move to. Boys are almost 5 and 7, so great primary schools and family orientated areas are a must. Amenities not too far from home would be great, but not keen on living the city life. Can anyone offer any advice.....it would be SO gratefully received!!!

I d

I don't know how much you know about Southampton but it's got some nice areas and some extremely deprived areas and they are very close together. If I were you I'd look at living either out in Romsey, the New Forest or up towards Winchester. Hiltingbury at the top of Chandlers Ford is nice, but Chandlers Ford itself is a dormitory. Eastleigh is awful. If you do look in Southampton then Bassett and West End are ok. Alternatively, if you're a boatie then head to Hamble, but the roads take ages in rush hour.

Good luck!

CamperFan Wed 19-Oct-11 10:22:48

What about New Forest/Lymington area? Not far to commute to Southampton, beautiful beaches and forest walks, fantastic primary schools (really high percentage of "Outstanding" ones). I don't know Southampton too well to be honest, but what I haven't seen doesn't look great - it's handy to have on your doorstep for the shops/hospital etc, but I wouldn't want to live there (have lived in South London too). Moving to the New Forest area from London was the best thing we've ever done. Four years on, I still feel so lucky to live here! PM me if you want me more specifics/advice!

jamsamsmum Thu 20-Oct-11 05:57:03

Thanks so much for the info TheSkiingGardener and CamperFan. Have been looking at Winchester down to Botley, Chandler's Ford and have also looked at Lymington. Had lots of people recommending Romsey, but schools seem a bit hit and miss. I think Southampton is off the list. Thanks CamperFan, will look at Lymington again, my husband likes the idea of living on the coast, so maybe this is a good choice

UKSky Sun 23-Oct-11 23:17:38

Can definitely recommend Lymington though house prices are a bit higher than other areas around.

Schools are great, as is the social life.

Chandlers Ford is nice but £££ and quite dull, you have to drive everywhere too which will add to your costs.
Southampton does have some nice suburbs and has the advantage of not needing a car for everything and more daddy time obv. Highfield, Upper Shirley and Bitterne Park are the nicest (in descending £ order!) It's not quite as bleak as people think, I like the fact there are lots of creative types here.

5ofus Wed 09-Nov-11 10:57:45

Representing the non-New Forest end of Southampton.

It depends which area of Southampton he's working in but you may find Hedge End of interest which has good travel links (just off motorway) and is reasonably priced, or perhaps Bursledon, Swanwick or Botley if you are looking for the village life but these are more expensive.

PrairieDog Wed 16-Nov-11 14:42:53

Hi Jamsamsmum we are also in the US and moving to Hampshire. Did you decide to look on the coast? We are moving mid- December and will be looking for a rental with a good school close by not too far from DH's job (Eastleigh).

Hope everyone is settling in (if you have moved already).

jamsamsmum Fri 27-Jan-12 00:11:20

Hi PrairieDog
moved to Curdridge two weeks ago, after spending two weeks in a hotel in Southampton!
Lovely area (Botley, Bishop's Waltham, Hedge End for shops...all close by) and great primary school - Swanmore C of E
Have you moved here yet?

PrairieDog Mon 06-Feb-12 17:14:36

Hi Just seen this. We are in Swanmore. How are you settling in? We are loving it.

jamsamsmum Wed 08-Feb-12 23:15:25

We love it here too. Glad you are happy and have settled in.

CharlotteEmma Tue 11-Sep-12 14:51:07

Hi
Can you tell me how long it takes to commute from Lymington to Southampton?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now