Local Talk

New Forest Birth Centre/Homebirth in Southampton Area?

(3 Posts)

Has anyone either given birth at New Forest Birth Centre or had a homebirth in the area? Everyone I know in Southampton has been to Princess Anne. Had DS at Princess Anne and it was ok (may have to go back there anyway for medical reasons) but considering other options with DC2 as I didn't have the most fantastic experiences there. Went to New Forest postnatally with DS and thought it was fab. TIA!

GoldenBanana Mon 23-Jul-12 18:24:19

I haven't had a baby myself at New Forest Birth Centre but I do know loads of women who have and I know the birth centre well! What do you want to know about it? Generally I hear really good things. The safety record is excellent and so is the postnatal support. As you know, it's a really chilled out kind of place, super clean and friendly staff. The birth rooms are huge by hospital standards with lots of privacy, en suite loo/wet room and a big birth pool.
There is a local (non NHS) homebirth support group too. I think there's a meeting being arranged for 14th August. Have a look on Facebook for the details, search Southampton Area Homebirth and you should find it. You might find that other parents who have had or who want a homebirth will go along, plus there could be NHS and/or independent midwives there and maybe some antenatal teachers.
If you want any antenatal classes to help you cope with labour I run Natal Hypnotherapy workshops, weekly Natal Chill and Chat sessions based on the Natal Hypnotherapy approach with breathing/relaxation incorporated, 1-1 sessions and NCT classes.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just wanted to hear some experiences really. For example is it one-to-one care at the birth centre or would I be sharing a MW with other women when in labour? One of the things I really disliked about Princess Anne was the sensation that I was on a birth conveyor belt having to stick to all of their timings and being pushed into interventions when I didn't dilate 1cm per hour etc. How do they assess your progress at the Birth Centre, at what point would they decide you needed to transfer for slow progress, or do they assess on more of a case by case basis? I think I'm ok coping with labour but it's just getting the support and environment right this time I think. I'll check out the homebirth group too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now