Where to live in/around Southampton

(9 Posts)
TipsyandT0m Fri 08-Jul-16 14:25:39

DH is considering a possible job offer in Southampton.
He will have to commute to and from the Western Docks area.

House budget is 300k max and we would want a 3 bed with a garden. DS is disabled so would need a drive to park my car on.

I would like a nice quiet area popular with families, with local shops, play area etc.

Schools are not at the top of our list, as DS attends a special needs school and his care plan will go with him.

Neither of us are familiar with the area. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

PoshPenny Fri 08-Jul-16 21:27:19

Have a look around Totton, Hythe, Dibden Purlieu areas. The New Forest is expensive but not impossible. Southampton is cheaper. Around Bitterne Park has always struck me as being nice (but I might be way wrong) There is a special needs secondary school, Oak Lodge at Dibden Purlieu which might be interesting to you in the longer term depending on your DS age.

TipsyandT0m Sat 09-Jul-16 10:07:59

Thanks Posh I will take a look.

What is living in Southampton like in general?

OneLittleToddleTerror Sat 09-Jul-16 13:38:56

We used to be in Highfield and I loved it. But that is without family. Easy and frequent buses to the city centre, good take aways and pubs in Portswood. Also a local waitrose (and a sainsbury now too). Walking distance to the commons. I worked at the university so I walked to work too.

I also love how easy to it is to get to the new forest. Lots of lovely walking.

There is a big ikea in town and you get all the standard high street brands in either Southampton and Winchester. There is also a theatre in the university and also in Southampton and Winchester.

That is before children however.

We are just outside Southampton now and I'm not sure what the commute is like from just north of the avenue to western docks is like. I would imagine it is easier to get to the docks from the new forest side. Where I am now is a nice area to live with children however.

Talkinpeace Sat 09-Jul-16 16:08:23

Which school will your ds be going to. It matters because Soton has horrendous traffic.
As you are not worrying about main state schools, look at marchwood as the school is dire so houses are cheap

TipsyandT0m Sat 09-Jul-16 18:07:03

Thanks. Which area are you in now OneLittle

OneLittleToddleTerror Sat 09-Jul-16 20:12:42

I'm in Chandler's Ford. Agree with Talkinpeace that traffic around Southampton is horrific. I use the M3 so Chandler's Ford is good. But definitely look into where your son's school will be based. It takes a good 30-45min from where I am to Marchwood on a good day, for example.

OneLittleToddleTerror Sat 09-Jul-16 20:18:48

By the way, my post is answering your question about what it is like to live in Southampton. Which IMHO is great.

Chandlers Ford isnt good value for money in your case. It has very good schools so that push prices up. However you can get a 3bed for £300k I think. But a smaller 3 bed than what you will get in other areas with worse schools.

Talkinpeace Sat 09-Jul-16 21:25:53

if your son is likely to be at the Cedar school, then look at Baddesley, Calmore, Windsor, north Totton
all areas that get ruled out by people with mainstream school kids, but some LOVELY houses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now