Local Talk

Ooh this is new!

(28 Posts)
Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 07-Jun-07 13:27:49

Hello hello! A local site for local people.

<<waving>> Hello! I'm from Southampton too! How exciting!

um

<<waving again coz can't think of anything else to say right now>> Hello!!

Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 07-Jun-07 16:52:24

Hiya, I'm a bit of a geek too, used to be heavily into Star Trek once upon a time.
Assuming you're having your baby at Princess Anne, you might see me at one of the Parent Info Evenings there - I'm usually manning the nappy display.

Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 07-Jun-07 16:52:41

Oops have outed myself somewhat there!

Ooo, how exciting! Yep I am planning to go to the midwife-led unit at Princess Anne, but I think most of my antenatal classes are at the Bitterne Health Centre. Is it the 'early bird' evening you do? I hadn't planned to go to one of those, but I asked for a tour of Princess Anne and haven't heard back yet - if I don't hear then I may go to one of those evenings instead, just so I know roughly where things are before I'm actually in labour!

If I do, how will I recognise you? Miniature stick of dynamite stuck in your lapel?

So have you got experience of Princess Anne (as a punter I mean) that you wouldn't mind sharing and that won't scare me silly?!

Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 07-Jun-07 18:32:35

Um no, my Princess Anne birth experience is unsharable with first timers I'm afraid! But they have more staff than Winchester so the aftercare is better. I'd recommend NCT antenatal classes and reading Sheila Kitzinger books so you'll feel more in charge.
Yup, next Early Bird is first Tues of August, I'll be wearing a t-shirt that says 'I love real nappies' on the front . The talks are really interesting and you get lots of freebies and junkmail.

beakysmum Thu 07-Jun-07 21:17:35

Hello hello! Another local person here! And another person whose first experince of Princess Anne is not really suitable for sharing either /-:

But... am due to have my second one there soon, so it can't be all bad. Might even come to one of the info evenings, Dynamite, as I am definately interested in washable nappies for new LO.

Here's to a great local group!

Hello beakysmum! I'm going to try not to think about the fact that neither of you want to talk about your birth experiences When is your next one due bm? Mine is due early November (this is my first).

Bouquetsofdynomite Sat 09-Jun-07 14:18:36

In praise of PAH, Sandy the breastfeeding counsellor is nice .

Tommy Sat 09-Jun-07 14:44:30

had DS1 and DS2 at PAH - all fine

Had DS3 at home and ended up in there anyway (on high care unit ) and I couldn't have asked for better care.

There are a few other people around from Soton - there's a thread running at the moment about a meetup. I'm sure I must know some of you

beakysmum Sun 10-Jun-07 22:11:12

I might go to the meet up on Friday, I'l see how we are doing.

In defence of PAH, I don't think the hospital was particularly bad. A lot of it would have happened anywhere! And some of the staff were actually very nice. As I say, I am going back there. LO due early August.

NappyValley Sun 17-Jun-07 22:26:29

Sandy the brest feeding counsellor is FANTASTIC.

I would say PAH puts its money where most needed - giving birth - (even though my emergency cesaeren was a scary time) but you definately have to fend for yourself afterwards on Burley Ward IMO. I was not til 3 days later that we found out there was somewhere for partners to make themselves tea!

At the end of the day make sure you pack ear plugs as you get little or no sleep sharing a room with several new mums and their babes.

It will happen in it's own merry way in the end and you wont care too much when you are in labour!!!

When are you due geekin Pigtails??

p.s. I am a geek too and work in IT!!

Hi guys!
how exciting to be straight on to local mums! I'm another Mumsnetter with 3x experience of the PAH (wins 3rd time round) so I have 4 not-so-little products of the place now!

Think this local area of Mumsnet is going to be fab!

:-)

oops shuld have read it before I posted - meant to say Twins!

Should..... aargh!

Dylsmum Fri 22-Jun-07 11:41:56

Hi! Another local mum here!
Also had DS at PAH, and although pretty horrific experience health wise, I can honestly say either DS, myself or both would not be here today if it were not for the wonderful staff. When I was in labour the staff were lovely, so rest assured geekinpigtails, that you will be safe and cared for. (but I second NappyValley about looking after yourself on Burley once you have had the baby though).

Hi again everyone! Sorry I haven't been on in a while - been away on holiday for 2 weeks [tanned grin] Anyway, thanks everyone for the reassurance about PAH, really helpful

NappyValley, I'm due early November, so a while to go yet - actually I'm half way through the pg, which sounds scary, but at the same time it feels like I've been pregnant AGES already so I'm not panicking much yet!

So was there a meet up while I was away?! Anyone go?

I had all of mine in November and didn't even have my twins on the same day they were born either side of midnight so have different birthdays!

Geekinpigtails maybe you'll be the same as me 2nd time around I gave birth to ds2 with firework displays going off all around!

The labour ward was really bust that night (4th Nov) and the midwives said they couldn't understand why until I explained it was 9 months since Valentine's day!

jetgirl Mon 02-Jul-07 21:36:08

Hello All, another local here - I can walk to the PAH from my house!

I had a wonderful experience there, even though labour didn't go as planned staff were amazing and went above and beyond call of duty looking after me, dh and dd. Can't wait to go back in November

Hello jetgirl!!! <<waving madly at fellow due-in-November-girl>>

jetgirl Tue 03-Jul-07 19:52:18

Hello geekinpigtails! <<waving back madly>> left a message on the November thread saying we should meet up for a coffee sometime. How's things?

Things are alright thanks! A little crazy-busy at the moment actually, but hopefully they'll ease up soon, I really need more sleep...

I was just about to ask whether you were going to any ante-natal classes, to see if we could meet up there, but I'm in Bitterne Park so most of mine are at the Bitterne health centre - I expect if you're so close to PAH you'll be going there if anywhere. So anyway, yeah it would be good to meet up for a coffee sometime, though as I say, the next couple of weeks I'm pretty jammed. Would it be OK if I sent you a CAT when I've got a bit more time, so we can email to arrange it? If you don't hear from me in ages though, feel free to nag, because I'm forgetful (and a bit shy tbh ) but would like to meet you!

NappyValley Wed 04-Jul-07 21:43:28

Oh lots of november babies due in town then.

Have you preggie girlies thought about going to the aqua natal classes at Bitterne Leisure Centre - monday nights I think.

I found it really great exercise adn it is run by 2 fab midwives from PAH. Call the leisure centre for more details.

Oh yes NappyValley, I had heard about those, but haven't actually got around to finding out more or going yet. So much to do! But thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to fit it in somewhere

jetgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 22:00:23

NappyValley - I considered the aquanatal classes last time round, but I don't drive (am learning so stay off the roads on Saturdays!)and Bitterne is a bit of a trek at the mo. During the school holidays I'm going to go swimming first thing in the morning on the days my dd is at nursery so I can avoid all the schoolchildren divebombing the pool! I remember loving the feeling the feeling of weightlessness when I was 8 1/2 months pg, but feeling so heavy when I got out of the pool!

Geekinpigtails - I'm quite shy too, was surprised at my own boldness in suggesting we meet up! CAT me when you've time. I also have a busy few weeks till the end of term but once school's out I will have a life - hooray!

Bouquetsofdynomite Sun 08-Jul-07 10:03:13

OK, think we're attempting another meetup this Wednesday morning at Jungle Jeans playzone, somewhere behind Leisureworld. If anyone would like to join us, keep an eye out here.

Hello, I'm erika and I'm a midwife. Don't want to sound like a sakes pitch at all but got the feeling some of you hadn't been able to get your classes. Thought I'd let you know I do tom classes independently if that helps. Also if you miss the tour just phone and ask to be shown round. Perfectly within your rights and will def help you relax on labour. Also, we are holding a baby and toddler fair on Oct 25th at Ringwood waldorf school. 10.30 till 16.30. Nearly new sale, cafe, midwives, hypnobirthing, massage, osteopaths, acupubxture, children's centres, brrastfeeding support and loads more. Love you to cone. It is a fundraiser for our school. Take care all of you and try to get that tour to help your fears.

P.s WWW.beautifulbirths.org to find me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now