Local Talk

Leigh or Chalkwell and Westcliff

(17 Posts)
vfe21 Fri 27-Apr-12 13:38:04

Hi all, I am looking to move into the area from the east end of London with my husband and hoping to start a family. Obviously would love to live in central leigh near the broadway but I know I can get a lot more house for my money north of the London road, although won't be able to go too far as need to walk to the station. I also see that moving further into Westcliff also gets you more house for your money. Do people think it makes a real difference, would you go for the smaller house in central leigh over the bigger ones North of the London Road or in Chalkwell or Westcliff?

imperfectparent Sat 28-Apr-12 18:25:30

I'm not sure whether you mean to rent or buy but I would definitely rent to get to know the area first. North of the London Road gets you more for your money but there are some Westcliff Roads that are much less desirable. Leigh is great but parking is a real issue. Chalkwell is good as it is South of the London Road and convenient for the beach and station. It ticks all the boxes for me but houses come at a premium. If you are thinking of children then you have to familiarise yourself with school catchments. Even if you are selling property in East London, I would still rent here first. We did this and it puts you in a good position when you are ready to buy as there is no chain underneath you.

Tugboat Wed 02-May-12 23:31:00

Leigh/chalkwell is lovely, Some parts of westcliff are just awful. I would also rent first and get to know the area.

vfe21 Thu 03-May-12 13:16:51

Thanks for the replies. I do not think we will be able to rent first we did consider it but financially it doesn't really make sense for us. Thanks for the views on westcliff I think we will avoid it, I suppose my main thing now is where does chalkwell end and westcliffe begin! We are going to be coming in the next few weeks to really look at the various streets. We have seen a couple of nice 3 beds in the centre of Leigh near North Street School and one 4 bed with loft conversion too just north of chalkwell park and the london road on hildaville road which is in the chalkwell schools catchment. I think we may look just north of the London Road but keen to stay in the Chalkwell Hall schools catchment rather than darlinghurst primary going by the ofsted reports! Any other views on roads to avoid let me know.

imperfectparent Fri 04-May-12 19:14:15

If you are intent on buying, post any street details on here and see what the response is. As regards North of the London Road, the roads to the East of the one way system (East of Chalkwell Avenue) can be a bit iffy. This would include Hildaville. It has become more of a rental land and although you get more for your money, I would stick to West of Chalkwell Avenue if you can. Also, be careful with the catchments as they can be very idiosyncratic. There are houses that are within a stone's throw of Chalkwell but they are in the catchment for Darlinghurst. If you check the Council website, you will find this area is within Belfairs catchment for secondary but that school is now so oversubscribed, the catchment has become much narrower. This is less important for you as you haven't started a family yet but it might be an issue when you sell.

prettybusymummy Fri 04-May-12 21:01:18

I have a smaller house in a road off the broadway and I love it. We may move north of ldn road when my youngest child has got into the school. its a lovely area, I will always live here! xx

vfe21 Fri 11-May-12 12:58:42

Thanks for all the responses so far, I am seeing places north of the London road on Cheltenham Drive, Scarborough Drive, cricketfield grove, bonchurch avenue and hildaville drive. Also seeing places south of london road on leighton avenue, canonsleigh and leighville grove. There are a mix of school ctchments between north street, chalkwell and darlinghurst. Please let me know if any of these streets have a particularly bad reputation and also would be good to get thoughts on Darlinghurst primary as the houses in this catchment are a lot larger.

imperfectparent Thu 17-May-12 21:18:05

I think a rule of thumb with residential streets is to avoid the ones that have become predominantly buy to let territory. There are quite a few like this North of the London road at the Westcliff end. There are also quite a few South of the London road in Westcliff if you go East of Crowstone Road. This tends to be reflected in the prices. You get more for your money but a transient population and houses that just don't look as cared for is the trade off. It sounds like you are in the early stages of research. Use the Estate Agents for their expertese (reading between the lines if they are trying to offload stock). Zac Turner of Turners is fairly straight talking. I will keep my eye on this thread and look out for your posts as you come across houses you like. I don't mind commenting on roads if I know them as you narrow down your choices.

vfe21 Thu 17-May-12 22:06:42

Hi imperfectparent

Thanks for your email. Its more that we researched and fell in love with Leigh... but then every time I go on rightmove I see 4/5 bed houses with 2 reception rooms in Westcliff for the same price as a 3 bed house in Leigh. I am just worried that if we pick the smaller house in Leigh we might regret it later if we outgrow the house or wish we had more space once we have children, but then the adage of if it looks to good to be true it probably is springs to mind, what we gain in space we lose in area, neighbours and schooling. I think we will probably end up in Leigh, looking at 2 properties this weekend one on Leighton Avenue at the end near the London road and another on Lord Roberts Avenue. Thanks again

Leigh is nice...I live in Eastwood which is classed as Leigh On Sea and thats lovely too.

Leighton Ave nice as is Lord Roberts...only downside is parking as it can be a bit of a nightmare.

imperfectparent Thu 07-Jun-12 20:00:26

I hope your search is coming along well and your getting to grips with the area. I know you are trying to get the most for your money but as with Kirsty and Phil, you have to compromise on location. Consider areas around Belfairs and Highlands which are North of the London Road but still very desirable. You would need to check the catchments but certainly West Leigh is very well thought of and Belfairs Secondary is becoming massively over subscribed since having undergone a major rebuild. You may have in mind transport links and want to be near the station but you can still be within 20 mins (brisk) walking within these areas.

letseatgrandma Thu 07-Jun-12 20:14:01

Much of Leigh is nice, but not all of it tbh. I would rather live in Westcliff and send my children to Earls Hall, than live off Manchester Drive and send them to Darlinghurst or Blenheim. Chalkwell has recently shrunk its catchment and I know of 3 families who didn't get in despite being in catchment this (current) year which would worry me a lot. I know of a few Y6s who haven't got Belfairs despite being well into catchment as well. I'm not sure 'Chalkwell' itself really exists postally-I have a feeling it's either Leigh or Westcliff!

North Street is great, but the parking is so awful round by the Broadway that I really wouldn't fancy that. West Leigh is considered a good school and they do prep for the 11+ if that's a consideration. Heycroft is another good school, though Eastwood Primary and Fairways are less desirable.

Jct87 Sun 10-Jun-12 15:44:19

I agree with the above post, I have a child at school there and it's brilliant. Also the area around it is nice to live in as long as you stay on that side of prince avenue. I would much rather live in westcliff and get more for my money, if you pick the right place it's very family orientated, whereas Leigh has a lot of young people due to all the bars etc. although with needing to be near a station the area near westcliff station is not all that pleasant!

vfe21 Mon 11-Jun-12 16:29:34

Thanks for all the posts, we have had an offer accepted on a 3 bed south of the London road on Leighton avenue, in the North Street catchment area smile Finger's crossed we will be moving in a couple of months. I am now pregnant and will be looking for a good GP in the area, can anyone recommend one?

Alurkatsoftplay Thu 14-Jun-12 22:09:08

That's a nice road (good for commuting, not so for parking) and North Street is a lovely school. There's a big Doctor's/health centre right near: It's called The Pall Mall Surgery, I think, but it's actually at the end of Margueritte Drive on the London Road.

Alurkatsoftplay Thu 14-Jun-12 22:14:41

I forgot to say, well done and good luck!

Yaspac Sun 27-Jan-13 23:08:52

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. We have recently been looking at houses in Elderton Road & Cranley Road Westcliff on Sea. My biggest concern is that we don't know the area that well & although we love both houses especially the one in Elderton Road we have just found out that the house next door has been converted into 4 flats. Does anyone think this would prove a problem as I am concerned about noise etc as have a 23 month old. It does seem a quiet area but just not sure. Also does anyone know much about the schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now