Local Talk

Anyone live in Leigh-on-sea?

(57 Posts)
Hollywood40 Fri 15-Feb-08 20:01:08

Thinking of moving to the area. We have a 2yr old and thinking of having another. Is it a good family area with lots to do? My 2yr old is very active and currently spends most of his time at the park it's not a retirement place is it? Also need recommendations on good nurseries I work 2 days a week and would want to carry on with it. Thanks everyone x

dosydot Fri 15-Feb-08 20:33:15

Hi where abouts are you.
Leigh has thriving mums and tots groups.
Several parks/ woods and a beach of sorts. plenty to do at any time of the year.
There are a lot of retired people around as in any area but there is a thriving young community, plenty of bars etc if you can get a babysitter.
There a couple of very good nurseries in the area.
Why are you thinking of moving? House prices are a bit steep.

AmyAmy Mon 07-Apr-08 11:39:00

Just wondering if you've moved? Can recommend a fab new nursery in Rochford if you're interested?

HaynesK Mon 15-Feb-10 13:39:31

Leigh is great for young families. Lots of children's activities, clubs, beach, parks, woods. i find it a lovely social place to live for our family.

Nurseries: Leigh Village, Small Friends and Little Rascals. There are also preschools, and other groups, dancing etc.

sasharella Fri 26-Feb-10 09:20:29

was going to reply to Hollywood40's message to say how great leigh is then realised it was posted 2 years ago!! did you move to Leigh I wonder?

emmydizz Thu 25-Nov-10 21:15:03

I'm wondering if you moved to Leigh too! I'm from Leigh on Sea and have 2 small children, and I have loved, and am still loving bringing them up here. So much to do!

x

LadyVi Wed 12-Jan-11 11:39:48

Hello! I'm also moving to Leigh-on-sea next week and was wondering what it was like for kids so this thread is really helpful. My daughter is nearly 16 months and so much fun if tiring at times. Would be great to meet other mums. I will miss the NCT mums from where I used to live!

LouiseRose Sun 16-Jan-11 14:30:09

Hello there! I'm also moving to Leigh-On-Sea soon (week after next) with a 17-month-old daughter. I too would love to meet other mums as I'm leaving a great bunch of NCT friends in London and a bit nervous about being total loner - eeek! LadyVi, have you had any recommendations on toddler groups, swimming etc? I'm completely clueless as to what activities are on offer for little ones. Would be great to hear from you! x

sallyEC Mon 17-Jan-11 20:58:43

Hi

Leigh is great and the neighbouring areas...lots to do and fun to have. I live in Benfleet which is not too far away and have an 18 month old daughter

Mail if you want to meet up

Sally and Amelie

satine75 Fri 04-Feb-11 09:58:48

Hi, I live in leigh and have a 4 and a half month old. I moved from London late in my pregnancy and would love to meet other mums.

Julie & Emily

Nabsmac Mon 14-Feb-11 12:27:49

Hi Ladies, I am new to mumsnet and live in the Leigh/Westcliff area. I have two girls aged 21 months and 7 weeks and would like to meet up with some other mums and get out the house a little more, weather permitting. (roll on spring) I know there must be more to life than Cbeebies!!

Mumleigh Tue 15-Feb-11 18:24:55

Hi Ladies,

I live in Leigh and have been involved with the Parent and Toddler group that meets at Highlands Methodist Church ever since I moved here.(we just hire the hall so it's not a church group) It is on a Monday morning from 9.45 to 11.30.There is playdoh, a different craft every week, lots of other toys and a baby corner.We also do singing for the last 15 mins. It's a very friendly group all run by volunteers and I made lots of friends through it.They will be closed for the next two Mondays because of half term and also because West Leigh School is having an extra day off , but after that do come and join us! Leigh is a great area to raise kids and there are tons of young families.

LouiseRose Thu 17-Feb-11 17:40:08

It's reassuring to hear there are a few of us in the same position! Really appreciate the info on Highlands Methodist Church group - it sounds good! It would be so nice to meet up with other mums who've posted on this thread, so why don't those who fancy it meet at the Parent & Toddler group suggested on Monday 7th March when it starts again after half term? (PS. I must have forgotten to 'watch' this thread so only just read all the posts!)

Mumleigh Thu 17-Feb-11 18:25:44

LouiseRose - I should be there - I am most Mondays. On the 7th we are decorating butterflies!If you want me to look out for you and make sure you are given the proper welcome send me a message and I'll let you know my real life name! To get to the group you go in via the church carpark on Olive Ave , through the doors and turn left and then right - follow the noise!

Mumleigh Thu 17-Feb-11 18:35:13

re swimming: West Leigh School has a swim school and they do parent and toddler sessions (I believe it's quite reasonable) . There is also a Virgin Active Club in Thundersley and my son does his lessons there. There is also a toddler group called the Edward Bear Club run by a lovely lady called Pam and it is on a Wednesday morning at St Margarets Church.I have also heard good things about the sure start centre but I have not been there myself as I like to walk everywhere if I can and it's a bit too far away for me.

sandy06 Sun 27-Feb-11 21:04:48

There are also toddler groups at Leigh Road Baptist Church on Weds pm and am; West leigh Baptist Church Monday mornings and St Michael and All Angels on Leigh Road on Thursday afternoon (I think). Plus something on at Clements Church in centre of Leigh once a week, not sure of the day, plus story rhymes at the library once or twice a month... It really caters well for little ones round here

cleolane Thu 07-Apr-11 20:53:52

Hello we are planning to move down to leigh on sea from dalston with our 12 year old boy and 6 year old girl. Any thoughts on schools(my son is dyslexic).
We have been very involved in Steiner community here any one interested in alternative lifestyles?

LadyVi Wed 13-Apr-11 15:11:16

Hello everyone,

With moving and settling into a new work commute I haven't checked this thread for ages. It's great to know there are people in the same situation. We have been in Leigh for 3 months now and my daughter Isobel has settled into her new nursery on Elm Road really well. Unfortunately I can't make the toddler groups as I work but I am leaving my city job in a month to work from home so am keen to keep in touch with other mums in the area.

Vi

mumtorobbie Thu 09-Jun-11 16:20:18

Hi Vi

I'm curious as to how you have found the move. We're in the process of looking at properties in the area and although we're both going to have to commute into London each day we're really excited about it especially as we can afford a much bigger house. I know the area pretty well as spent alot of my teens in Southend and worked there last year for a while.
How are you finding the area. Was it a good move for your family?

circlehead Tue 21-Jun-11 17:51:56

I am about to move right by Westleigh School with my 10mo DS.

Give me a shout if anyone is nearby! Would love to meet up for coffee/park etc

ab7amn Mon 27-Jun-11 21:53:42

Hello everyone. I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first and its great to hear that leigh is so good for family's. Would love to hear from any other pregnant mums out there as would be great to meet up. We only moved here a year ago but feel really at home as everyone is so friendly :0)

LadyVi Wed 06-Jul-11 20:27:01

Hi mumtorobbie.

Leigh is a fabulous place to bring up kids and for mums not ready to leave the city. the high street has good shops and now thank goodness a CostaCoffee! (sad i know but i missed my morning lattes and the other shops just don't do good coffee at least not at 8am).
We spend most of our weekends on the beach. We cycle down to the seafront and it's a beautiful ride to east beach along the cycle path by the sea. Isobel loves running around on the soft sand and playing in Adventure Island on the mini-rollercosters in Southend.
There is so much more to do as a family here than there was in west london. I thoroughly recommend it.
And yes house prices are much cheaper here - we are renting for the moment but plan to buy soon, just not decided whether to stay here or look towards Thorpe Bay as you seem to get more space for your money.
Hope you find what you are looking for!

Vx

sandy06 Thu 21-Jul-11 18:25:33

Don't go to Costa, go to the Coffee Bean Company on Elm Road, opposite the fishmongers, for great coffee (though maybe not at 8am!)

ab7amn Wed 03-Aug-11 09:12:29

@sandy06 - I agree - don't use costa!!

We have soooo many good independent cafes in Leigh! Although I will let you off LadyVi as alot of them don't open early. Sorry its a bit of a soapbox of mine at the moment! smile

Essexnicola1307 Wed 02-Nov-11 09:17:00

Hi all, we have just moved into the area as well - have an 8 year old very boistrois boy with some difficulties in learning (sadly). I know the area pretty well as I was born here but have lived in London for a long time so most of my friends are still there or have older kids.
I wondered if there are any meet ups for mums in the Leigh / Rayleigh / Benfleet area during the day - or a coffee morning perhaps. Looking forward to hearing from you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now