Dulwich Village Infants / Hamlet - experiences or advice?

(3 Posts)
Evaexpat1 Wed 25-May-16 21:24:30

Hi all - after an insane amount of stress because of an unexpected move, we now have TWO good schools to choose from - Dulwich Village Infants and Bessemer Grange. The former was unexpectedly offered today, after I already sort of fell in love with Bessemer Grange.

We are NOT religious and our boy will only have turned 4 when he starts - he's bi/trilingual (Danish/English and passive German). Guys, I just don't know which school to choose! I know DV outperforms BG academically quite significantly, but considering how young our son is, I also just want him to... you know, be happy and play outside (which he loooooooooves) . BG seems the better fit for that - or am I wrong about that?

We also live outside the current and last catchment areas for Dulwich Hamlet - does anyone know how that works out? We're new to the UK and to London.. TIA!

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Wed 25-May-16 21:44:09

Hi- I'm local - and both are very good schools. When you mean you are out of catchment is this for the junior school? Well dulwich hamlet does very well, I would say that BG does v well with a much more mixed intake than Dulwich hamlet so potentially is a better school. A lot of Dulwich will be tutored as well for private schools so this will also skew data. If you like BG go with it - you know your child best

BadgerFace Thu 26-May-16 20:31:06

BG has the most amazing playground! I used to go to the children's centre a lot when my eldest was a baby and I was always impressed by the school's facilities which you could see. They do outdoor learning in the woods too.

I am currently looking at schools for Sept 2017. We're out of catchment for DH and BG would be a bit of a trek (although v handy for commuting from Denmark Hill for me!) so I haven't been to either school. You could try posting in the Family Room section of the East Dulwich Forum for a range of local views...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now