Local Talk

Relocating to Marple..?

(11 Posts)
Cheburashka Thu 25-Aug-11 18:23:43

Hello everyone! I'd like to ask for some advice/opinions if that's ok. Me and my boyfriend are thinking of relocating to Marple, i.e. buy our first house there. We are a young couple (well, I'm mid 20-ies, he's early 30-ies) and so far we've been living in Manchester city centre. We don't have any children yet and we are not married, however the big day is coming soon. We really like Marple's green surroundings and its peace, but is it a good place for young families? I'm not from around here and people have told me that lots of old people live in Marple (not that I mind old people, but maybe it's better for a young family to be somewhere busier). Does it have good nurseries/schools? Any gyms maybe, or some social activities going on? Are there enough young people living there? Any information would be really helpful, thank you in advance! smile

maxybrown Sun 28-Aug-11 08:34:43

Marple is expensive to buy, and a quiet place really, but lots of young people there too. It isn't exactly hustle and bustle mind you, but it is clean and peaceful and a nice place for bringing children up. It has a pool (not sure if gym attached?)

Road is busy into Marple, so can't be that DULL eh? wink

We don't live there now, but kept our doctors there as so nice.

Cheburashka Mon 29-Aug-11 16:36:40

Thank you for your reply maxybrown smile I don't mean to say Marple is dull, quite the opposite, I like it a lot, was just looking for some "insider" information. Hopefully we will be lucky and move there in the foreseeable future, fingers crossed! smile

FiPeacock Mon 19-Sep-11 06:48:24

Hey, Marple is quiet but in a good way. Definitely a nice place to raise a family I would say. I lived in Marple last year, but bought a house in Romiley (next village along) earlier this year. I'm expecting my first baby in January. Definitely lots of things going on for pregnant ladies (aquanatal, yoga etc), and Marple is particularly nice because there is a real community there. Definitely a lot quieter than Manchester city centre though! Hope this helps

Cheburashka Tue 04-Oct-11 15:29:11

Thank you FiPeacock smile We really like Marple and our second choice is actually Romiley as its just around the corner and hopefully a bit cheaper for first time buyers..

FiPeacock Mon 10-Oct-11 19:17:30

It is cheaper in romiley, in fact that's why we moved here! It's not far from marple & it's a stop closer to Manchester on the train so it's a bit quicker for commuting! Good luck finding a house smile

maxybrown Sun 16-Oct-11 23:53:16

I am in woodley Fi smile

FiPeacock Tue 18-Oct-11 21:28:18

Hey Maxy smile

Nice to find a local mumsnetter! Are you expecting or do you already have kids? X

Mummy1868 Sun 30-Oct-11 19:46:44

I live in Romiley which has a lovely community feel with plenty of things for mums and tots to do. The local park is well used, the cafe shops are very child welcoming and the playgroups will keep you busy most of the week.
I have 3 girls 6, 3, and 1.

FiPeacock Sat 03-Mar-12 00:44:46

Hi Mummy1868 (& anyone else who might know the answer),

Could you recommend any of the baby groups in Romiley? My daughter is 8 weeks now & I'm keen to start doing things! Most of the groups I've seen online seem to feature bible songs/stories, I'm looking for a group that doesn't feature religion if possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

tattbag Thu 14-Jun-12 11:17:52

for local play groups have a look at stockport link info website or the little tigers magazines - they are in the childrens section at Marple library.

as for the original post

I live in Marple Bridge and think it's great.

With a little one there are pleanty of groups to go to and if the weather is good then the parks are ace, if it's horrible there are also good soft plays near by. The parks really are great - memorial, brabyns and etherow and all cost nothing and can provide hours of entertainment!

We send our little girl to Hollins Wood nursery and are very happy with it.There are also excellent primary schools.

Marple Bridge has some lovely little shops, a deli, coffee shops etc. and Marple provides everything else. But most improtantly to us there are some really nice pubs for nice evenings out. The Midland is nice and has a big selection of food on it's menu, The Norfolk has recently re opened, and does food - we've been impressed. Then there is Dutsons and Libbys too so not short for choice.

If you make sure that you are within walking distance of the train station then you're not more than 20 mins from Manchester anyway.

So i'm giving it a big thumbs up ... we are certainly very happy here.

the negative is the traffic, in the morning towards Stockport it is a nightmare, so either set off early, set off later or grin and bear it!

Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now