Local Talk

SUFFOLK IS SO PRETTY

(324 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 10:31:52

especially in the sun and when there are all new flowers and spring blossom everywhere

in case anyone was wondering

Kudzugirl Wed 26-Mar-14 10:01:54

Love that term <fast pieces>

It still has legs!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 10:58:09

Hello

Thanky Mitchy - we've moved this to Suffolk now.

ProfYaffle Thu 27-Mar-14 09:40:35

I hope that a) everyone can actually read this and b) someone notices that I've posted!

Found this funny little snippet about the Peasenhall murder, seems the Great Yarmouth House of Wax nearly got charged with contempt of court!

Mignonette Thu 27-Mar-14 10:32:16

That is really interesting ProfYaffle. It would be subjudice prejudicial wouldn't it especially as such a depiction then would (I imagine) make more impression on public opinion?

I can imagine that such things had more impact then than now with our saturated media and multitude of sources/opinions available to us.

Where did you come across it?

ProfYaffle Thu 27-Mar-14 14:45:15

It was on the newspaper database on findmypast.co.uk, I'm somewhat addicted to family/local history and it's a really useful tool. Shame the house of wax is no longer with us, I loved it.

Mignonette Thu 27-Mar-14 14:48:24

I'm going to spend FAR too much time on that site now wink.

ProfYaffle Thu 27-Mar-14 15:44:06

grin

LottieJenkins Thu 27-Mar-14 17:43:02

Drove through Peasenhall and past Providence House today.

ProfYaffle Fri 28-Mar-14 06:25:41

I was trying to figure out which one is Providence House on street view, I think I've found it (is it now divided into 3 houses?) but one end of it is blurred out. I was wondering if it's to with it being a 'notorious' house.

LottieJenkins Fri 28-Mar-14 07:03:22

ProfYaffle If you are driving from Yoxford into Peasenhall you drive up the main street, Emmets is on the right and there is a turning to the left to Saxmundham. As you turn left PH is the first house on the right on the corner opposite Emmets. Hope that makes sense!!! As far as I know it is one house!

ProfYaffle Fri 28-Mar-14 08:04:16

That sounds like the same one I think. If you look on street view it's pink, then blue, then blurred out? When you say opposite Emmets, do you mean diagonally opposite?

LottieJenkins Fri 28-Mar-14 09:08:17

Not sure about diagonally opposite as I am dyspraxic!!! sad

ProfYaffle Fri 28-Mar-14 10:09:01

This one?? (think it's easier with photos!) grin

LottieJenkins Fri 28-Mar-14 10:41:30

It's the pink one at the front of the picture. Rose's window was the one at the top!

ProfYaffle Fri 28-Mar-14 11:18:28

Phew - got there in the end!

Mignonette Mon 31-Mar-14 08:16:00

I am going to go to Peasenhall and have a look around thanks to this thread.

Can anybody recommend some good shops to look around in the nearby villages? I know the naice ham shop and the gorgeous Yoxford bookshop <swoon>.

LottieJenkins Mon 31-Mar-14 09:24:21

The Bookshop looked a lot more like antique shop last time I went past!

LESuffolk&Norfolk Mon 31-Mar-14 10:34:29

Hi Lottie

it is depressing listing bookshops in Suffolk because it is so apparent just how many are gone sad. I remember when Sudbury had several in one little road.

I went to the Yoxford book hall earlier this Spring and it was rammed with books. I haven't been recently (last few weeks) though and so hope it hasn't closed/changed.

ImpOfDarkness Mon 31-Mar-14 17:20:50

If you're down that way you absolutely have to go to Chapel Books in Westleton. Magic.

LESuffolk&Norfolk Mon 31-Mar-14 19:18:21

I don't think I have listed that shop Imp Thanks flowers

<goes off to check>

LESuffolk&Norfolk Mon 31-Mar-14 19:19:45

Yes I do have it and muddled the location up with Yoxford. That was the book shop I meant.

LottieJenkins Mon 31-Mar-14 19:49:52

There is an excellent second hand bookshop in Framlingham. My friend Jim used to own the one in Halesworth but sold it recently and it appears now to be rather overcrowded and higgedlypiggedly. He kept it so beautifully!

Mignonette Mon 31-Mar-14 19:51:32

It is so sad how bookshops have declined. If only we had a crystal ball twenty years ago sad

LESuffolk&Norfolk Fri 11-Jul-14 16:44:51

I went to framlingham Lottie and it is beautiful! We stayed at Sweffling and feasted on pork loin from the local butchers in Fram. Gorgeous market, great Sue Ryder shop where I found two leather bags for a few pounds and armloads of books! We're staying at the campsite behind the White Horse- Alde Gardens soon because we have to come back- it was paradise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now