Local Talk

SUFFOLK IS SO PRETTY

(324 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 10:31:52

especially in the sun and when there are all new flowers and spring blossom everywhere

in case anyone was wondering

pointythings Wed 12-Mar-14 12:07:44

I live on the Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border so I get the best of everything landscape-wise and the worst of everything traffic-wise (A11 and A14 required to get anywhere).

But I love it here. Even the really flat bits with dikes and canals that remind me of my native Holland. The light is just amazing.

elfycat Wed 12-Mar-14 12:20:49

smile we should de-camp from our computers and continue this is a pub garden (a pretty one of course).

<wistful sigh>

dottyaboutstripes Wed 12-Mar-14 12:23:08

I'm in Norfolk. Must have the wrong specs on 'cos I'm not seeing pretty here!
* used to live on Suffolk/Essex border and think I should've stayed there....

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 13:01:06

thanks for prompting me to google suffolk pubs and waste time drooling over some of the menus grin

the anchor at walberswick looks nice, it is making me really really really really hungry

elfycat Wed 12-Mar-14 13:11:55

Nice pub. Might bookmark that link.

If I turn and look out of my window I'll see a pub. Shame I have an essay to finish and school run to do in a bit. It has a yard rather than a garden. Nice beer though. Might go in on Friday.

Tournesol Wed 12-Mar-14 13:21:17

I live in Cambridgeshire and in the summer we always whizz up to Suffolk or Norfolk for day trips and I love it!

So much so that last night I imagined I had won the lottery and fantasy shopped for a holiday home. I found the most amazing victorian villa in Wells-next-the-sea. Just need to buy that ticket now!

KitCat26 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:21:58

It is very beautiful here, and today is just lovely (apart from being stuck indoors with sick DD).

I moved from Herts/Essex border 6 years ago. It was without fail bright and sunny, every morning, when I left here to commute back to work. The clouds only appeared once off the A11. (Glad I don't have that commute any more!)

The pub in Dunwich did lovely food when we were last that way in November.

MegBusset Wed 12-Mar-14 13:25:37

Suffolk is pretty but I find parts of it a bit twee.

Norfolk has a quieter beauty that I prefer. (Apart from Great Yarmouth!)

BitsinTatters Wed 12-Mar-14 13:26:40

I'm in Suffolk too

Tis indeed beautiful

pointythings Wed 12-Mar-14 14:16:28

Oooh that pub does look nice and we are having a weekend away nearby in May. There's one for the to do list!

Greysandybeach Wed 12-Mar-14 18:00:40

Can I ask which Coastal towns are really nice to visit in Suffolk? I have only ever been to clacton which was nice but would like to explore more of the coast...

Greysandybeach Wed 12-Mar-14 18:01:52

Or perhaps even in Norfolk....

ProfYaffle Wed 12-Mar-14 18:07:24

I'm on the Norfolk/Suffolk border so get the best of both worlds grin

Ohanarama Wed 12-Mar-14 18:13:30

Both counties pretty but Norwich beats Ipswich (for shopping, not football)

cakebaby Wed 12-Mar-14 18:14:40

grey I'll start with my favourites IMHO.... Southwold, Aldburgh, Walberswick, Thorpness in Suffolk and Wells next the sea, Sheringham, Brancaster, Burnham Market in Norfolk. All quite similar in atmosphere, chilled, nice pubs, no amusement arcades!

I've been to 2 in Suffolk in the last week & off to 2 Norfolk ones tomorrow (from Norfolk but live in Suffolk)

elfycat Wed 12-Mar-14 18:17:06

Greysandybeach There's a reason people talk about Southwold in Suffolk. Nice little town to stroll around, pretty beachhuts and lighthouse, cute pier with little shops/coffee shop. I've only visited once but hope to go again.

I have to say I love the sea front at Great Yarmouth. I grew up near Hastings and it has a similar feel. A little run down now but in summer when things are all open it has plenty to do (sea life centre, pleasure beach with rides, decent sized model village). It's a bit further up and on the coast in Norfolk.

Butkin Wed 12-Mar-14 18:35:53

(ignores Tally otherwise could kick off...)

Yes Nowton is looking pretty now (as is Ickworth) although still a little muddy in places. They had a big running event there the Sunday before last so couldn't find anywhere to park and I'm a season ticket holder for the car park (indignant!).

DD will be running round Nowton for Sport Relief and is looking forward to it. just glad I don't have to (puff....)

Greysandybeach Wed 12-Mar-14 18:39:32

Oh, thank you elfy, cakebaby and butkin. Will check those places out on google maps straightaway and daydream of my next trip to the coast!

Butkin Wed 12-Mar-14 18:39:48

Mitchy, have you ever ridden on Holkham Beach? Haven't done it for years and keep meaning to take DD back (she last went when on the lead rein and that pony wasn't too keen).

Agree with Cakebaby's choice, she knows her stuff.

cakebaby Wed 12-Mar-14 18:52:39

<beams and polishes lapel> grin

ImpOfDarkness Wed 12-Mar-14 18:58:37

<waves at ladies in the Fram vicinity>

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 19:58:27

waves far too enthusiastically at EVERYONE

no Butkin, although a group of friends go for a long weekend every year and find somewhere to stay nearby with grazing I have never been able to join them for one reason or another - it's very much on my list!

in coastal matters I LOVE Dunwich, it is my absolute favourite Suffolk beach (at the moment) dogs are welcome off lead on almost all of it all year round and all of it most of the year

when I had a land rover that looked like the national trust land rovers I could roam and park freely round the whole area, Minsmere etc, but now I have to pay sad

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 20:00:20

look how nice dunwich is

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Mar-14 20:07:41

I know it's not exactly the seaside but Woodbridge often makes me feel like I'm on holiday confused it has that sort of feel to it, I think people should be encouraged to go there when they come to Suffolk

and Rendlesham forest of course and not just for UFO spotting

BitsinTatters Wed 12-Mar-14 20:11:20

Imp of darkness .. We are local

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now