Moving to Suffolk

(10 Posts)
alena001 Sun 05-Jun-16 11:58:16

Hi all

We are looking to relocate to Suffolk soon and as neither my husband or I are local so I was after some advice.

I am wondering what are the areas that we should really avoid. We have two young daughters (7 and 4) and are really looking for a nice slower pace of like that London with some goof local schools. I am originally from a small town outside Portsmouth.

Thanks for any help.

embob94 Sun 05-Jun-16 18:10:27

Hello smile
Suffolk folk here!!
It really is a big county!
I'm in the west of the county, in a teeny tiny village in the butt crack of nowhere, but we are within 15 mins driving distance of a decent sized town, and we have really good, quick, easy links to both Norwich, Cambridge and Ipswich.
Where have you been looking at so far??

SuffolkNWhat Sun 05-Jun-16 18:20:11

I'm also Suffolk as the name suggests! I've lived here for 10 years after relocating from Sussex. I live in West Suffolk on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk borders. The schools round here are mostly good, the Ofsteds are better than further East but you'd have to do your research to decide what kind of area you want, very rural, small town or city as we have all of them here.

knittedslippersx2 Sun 05-Jun-16 18:21:57

It's a big county. Woodbridge is a lovely small town.

knittedslippersx2 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:47:41

Kesgrave is really nice for young families.

gardeningsarah Sun 05-Jun-16 22:01:08

I'll second woodbridge and kesgrave areas as good places to look at. Good schools at primary and secondary level. Also much nearer the coast as well! What sort of budget have you got?

alena001 Sun 05-Jun-16 22:24:11

Thanks guys, gonna have a look. It's very difficult to judge a local from maps.

missybct Mon 06-Jun-16 13:55:22

What are you looking for around you? That would probably be a better way of advising - as in, are you looking for suburbs, village, inner city/town?

How far do you want to be from family? Does being by the coast interest you? What amenities do you really value (large malls/shopping areas, or small local shops for example)? What hobbies do you all have and would they have to be factored in when looking for a property (eg. football club, swimming etc)?

Suffolk stretches very far and wide - you've got the West which is barely a stones throw from possible commuting into London (e.g Sudbury, which I'd personally avoid) or you've got far easterly areas such as Southwold or Beccles which are very very sought after at the moment.

alena001 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:49:15

Hi missybct

We are pretty open to any area. The biggest issue is finding a area with good schools and somewhere the kids will enjoy growing up.

I've been told the Norfolk border in nice and to avoid the big towns.

missybct Fri 10-Jun-16 10:17:05

I totally agree with the Norfolk border area, but I'm biased :-) Plenty of really good schools, wide open spaces and plenty of activities nearby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now