Local Talk

Looking for participants!

(5 Posts)
SopEm Fri 16-Nov-12 06:52:17

If you have
- a child between the ages 5 and 11,
- looking for a fun activity for them,
- have an hour to spare,
sign them up for taking part in a research study run by the Children and Technology Lab of the University of Sussex investigating how child play and learn together.

In the study, your child will:
- name objects in a picture book,
- play with Playmobil and Duplo,
- play a short computer game,
- and make drawing.

In return for their time, they will get sweets or a sugar-free alternative, two LEGO minifigures.

For more details, please contact me! smile

The project has been reviewed and approved by the University of Sussex Cross-School Ethics Committee. The study is run by a doctoral researcher with enhanced CRB clearance.

Bekabeech Fri 16-Nov-12 07:02:31

Umm this is for 5-11 year olds? It sounds like something designed for much younger children. My 9 year old would be insulted to be asked to name objects in a picture book or play with Duplo (and probably Playmobile).

BeansForTeaAgain Fri 16-Nov-12 07:35:02

Sorry op I agree with Beka my 7 year old would be insulted as well. My 4 year old would love it though.

AddlestoneReVampPlease Fri 16-Nov-12 07:43:21

I agree with the others but do have 3 children in that age range if you're still looking.

SopEm Fri 16-Nov-12 12:06:26

Thanks for the comments. If the tasks sound too simple, I think it might be because I haven't put a lot of detail in the introduction.

The "picture book", for example, is actually a measure of verbal IQ and is used up to the age of 18. The starting point is determined on the basis of the child's age so it doesn't get boring. Most children find it a challenge and get to learn some new words.

As for Playmobil, it is used for illustrating a short story where children have to guess the actions and decisions of the characters. And Duplo... Well, I guess that depends on the child's personal preference. I obviously wouldn't want to make anyone do something they are not entirely happy with but the children I have tested so far have enjoyed the tasks, and some of them were 10-11 years old.

The study comprises of a series of playful tasks (e.g. Simon Says or listening to a story), each of which is actually a measure of a psychological function. They are tailored to the age of the participant, and children generally find them challenging and fun.

I don't want to flood the forum with more details but I'mmore than happy to discuss the study if you get in touch with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now