Local Talk

If Surrey is so rich, why are the community schools so awful?

(5 Posts)
Tweaker23 Mon 03-Dec-12 09:41:08

Sorry, whiny thread, but I'm in NE Surrey (don't want to be too specific about location) and the local community schools are SO mediocre and half-arsed. I don't want to send mine private for political reasons (and also cos I can't afford it grin) but wonder what Surrey's excuse is for the schools around here being so poor? There are a few pockets of deprivation but it's hardly the most difficult area.

Doesn't help that most of the local non-privates are religious (CofE and Catholic), and so my kids are effectively barred from them anyway (which makes me wonder why they get my tax money, although that's another story I guess...)

Am I just unlucky or is this a Surrey-wide picture?

Bekabeech Tue 04-Dec-12 13:23:28

Well I'm in SW. You could send your kids to all C of E schools here, if you lived close enough, and most Catholic Primaries. The best secondaries are on the whole community ones. Some of the best primaries are Community, others are C of E or Catholic. There have even been C of E that I wouldn't want to send my kids to.
The big problem is there just isn't enough primary school places.

Oh and the one school this way which no one wants their kids to go to, secondary and C of E.

Hillary25 Tue 04-Dec-12 20:24:02

I suspect you're near me. I think it's partly because Surrey's so rich - so many people go private that the comprehensives are not truly comprehensive. We have no good secondaries near us - unless you're Catholic, which we're not.

SonnyHoney Fri 22-Feb-13 22:00:15

Are you talking about walton by any chance?? x

AddictedToPropertyApps Mon 15-Apr-13 07:47:34

I think it's a real Surrey-wide issue. Primary schools around us (West ish Surrey) are great but I wouldn't touch Seniors with a bargepole. Catchments for the good secondaries pretty tight too in an already expensive area. We're moving away from Surrey partly for this reason which is very sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now