Local Talk

Need recommendations about independent school in Woking please ...

(6 Posts)
LoveSurrey Mon 14-Jan-13 22:02:33

Hi All,

DS is going to start school next year and we have visited St. Andrews, Hoe-Bridge and Greenfields so far and are really confused. All three of these look fantastic but we seem to like Hoe-Bridge more for some reason smile

As always, I turn to MN for great advice regarding DS smile. I would really appreciate if you could share your experience, observations, advice about these schools or any other good schools in the area.

We are based near Goldsworth park in Woking so St. Andrews is the closest.

mrscottini Wed 16-Jan-13 12:02:44

Hiya
Hoe Bridge is lovely - my DS is in the nursery there at the moment. I also liked St Andrews, it's a bit smaller, but was less convenient for me.

LoveSurrey Wed 16-Jan-13 23:20:52

mrscottini, thank you so much for your reply. Your comment is quite reassuring really. Would you like to share more about your experience at Hoe Bridge please. Did you consider any other schools in the area also.

Hoe Bridge looked like a rather exciting and less stressful place where they encourage students to push their limits constantly. I could see more perfection in their art work and wood work etc as compared to the ones at Greenfields or St Andrews. On the other hand, In St Andrews children seemed more disciplined and poised though I don't mean to say that kids at Hoe Bridge were not disciplined. This all is my impression about both schools which may well be wrong. Personally, I would like ds to be at a sufficiently disciplined place and be more creative and happy.

LoveSurrey Wed 16-Jan-13 23:22:33

That's why I feel more inclined towards Hoe Bridge.

mrscottini Sat 19-Jan-13 15:20:16

I looked at St Andrews, St George's Weybridge and Hoe Bridge for my DS and Halstead for my DD. I think Hoe Bridge is quite academic and they do push them but they also do lots of sport, art, music etc. It does seem a very happy, energetic place. I think the sport every day thing is very good for all that boy energy! Both Hoe Bridge and St Andrews are very boy heavy despite having been co-ed for a while. St George's is more balanced but I found the school a bit run down, a bit too catholic for my taste, and also naturally biased towards sending the kids onto its own senior school.

lalalie Fri 28-Jun-13 19:45:30

I have children at St Andrews's. It is smaller then Hoe Bridge, that's all I know about Hoe Bridge ( also that it is more snobby?).
st Andrew's is a lovely school, it is very friendly, far less strict then Halstead.
The children are very happy there, the disclipline I would call structure.
The children are more encouraged then punished to be honest. My children are quite disorganised for example but it doesn't get them into real trouble,it is a very supportive school. I like the small size, I very much prefer small preps , but thats personal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now