ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Best place to live with airport access

(23 Posts)
moomin81 Tue 26-Feb-13 11:57:23

Hello

We are currently living in Lancashire but are thinking of relocating down south; it needs to be somewhere with good transport links to Heathrow and/or Gatwick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bookluva Tue 26-Feb-13 19:26:37

Hi! Redhill has good transport links to Gatwick - 10 minutes from Redhill station. Also, the fast trains stop at Redhill (they sometimes don't stop at the smaller stations).

You don't mention whether you also intend to commute to London but Gatwick to London on a fast train is about 40 minutes. Redhill - London on a fast train is 30 minutes (slow train + 10 minutes).

As to where in Redhill to live, it rather depends upon your budget. Reigate is a nicer area but more expensive and the rail links aren't so good. I would contact a few estate agents and sound them out. Hope this helps!

Bekabeech Wed 27-Feb-13 09:54:42

Most of Surrey has good links to both airports. Easy by car. The rail line to Gatwick goes through Guildford, Dorking, Reigate and Redhill. There is a coach link from Woking to Heathrow. In the future there maybe a rail link.

Lots of air crew live all over the county, which tells you about the ease of access.

It's why we still live here really.

moomin81 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:46:24

Thank you both very much! Both comments are really helpful as I have no idea where to begin. I found out that Lightwater is supposedly one of the top ten places to live in the UK for families but that's about it.

My husband works from home so transport links to London aren't so important bookluva; it's just the airports that matter really.

Good to know the train lines as I suppose the traffic can get a bit mental at peak times.

How do you find life there in general? We're still undecided whether to stay up north (currently in Wigan) but maybe move to S. Manchester/ Cheshire or whether to bite the bullet and set up down south. We have two children aged 3.5 & 6 months.

moomin81 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:07:15

Oh and our budget is about 250k.

Thanks!

Bekabeech Wed 27-Feb-13 18:45:08

I wouldn't think that the M25 is much more manic than the M62 or M6 really.

Your budget isn't much. Does he need both Gatwick and Heathrow? For Gatwick looking somewhere like Horsham might be a good idea. light water might rank highly, but I'm not sure about secondary schools (if they count Gordon's as the secondary, that is a very very hard school to get into, I know girls about 1/2 miles away who didn't get in).

I suggest you visit, maybe combined with Legoland and get a feel for the area.

moomin81 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:33:00

Legoland idea sounds like a plan!

Re. budget I know.....it more depends on the type of mortgage we can get really - don't want to be paying more than £800/ month as don't want to be a slave to a hou

It could be close to either/or airports but both ideally.

Thanks!

Thanks!

moomin81 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:33:35

Urmm, delete one thanks

moomin81 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:38:40

Oh and *house
(note to self - use preview option next time)

bookluva Thu 28-Feb-13 21:11:07

Hi!
By some amazing coincidence, there was a 2-page spread in yesterday’s Evening Standard about living in Redhill & Reigate. It included what you can get for your money when buying a house! For £250K you can buy a 2-bedroomed house in Redhill (£237K) and the equivalent would cost £285K in Reigate. To rent, a 2-bedroom flat or house would be between £750 - £1500 per month in Redhill and the equivalent is £1000-£2000 in Reigate. You might want to consider renting first while you look for somewhere nice.

Of course, the further away from London that you go, the less costly property becomes – I would google estate agents and quiz them if I were you. If you want something near an airport, also check that you’re not under a flight path....

Beckabeech’s comment about secondary schools has made me think about something else that you’ll also need to consider: catchment areas. If you do buy, you want to be living near decent primary and secondary schools. I can’t give you any information for the Heathrow area, unfortunately, but Surrey County Council has an excellent website where you can search for the nearest schools to your house. The website address is www.surreycc.gov.uk/learning/schools/directory-of-surrey-schools

If you’re looking for state sector schools, OFSTED reports are on www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report For independent schools, ISI (Independent Schools Inspectorate – equivalent of OFSTED) reports are on www.isi.net/reports/

Hope this is useful and best of luck!

moomin81 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:10:12

Bookluva - you're a star! Hope if we do make the move I meet lots of helpful and friendly folk like you! That's another potential off put. The old stereotype that southerners aren't as friendly as us lads and lasses up north!

moomin81 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:22:59

Btw - have just looked on rightmove and there are a few 3 bed semis with garden on for 250k in Reigate....unless it's in a rough bit?

Kenlee Fri 01-Mar-13 08:32:58

As a Lancashire lad...I can only say my in laws live in Godalming. The folks are great down here. Im even sending my daughter to one of the private schools there as she can fly back to Hong Kong easier. ..

Gocowlike Fri 01-Mar-13 14:14:08

Moomin, I'm probably going to be moving to Reigate by the end of the year. I'm a southerner, born and bred, but I'm very friendly!! (and I'll be keen/desperate to make some shiny new friends in the area..) smile

Tahnks for the links, Bookluva - will take a look now.

moomin81 Fri 01-Mar-13 14:25:10

Exactly Gocowlike! How can one possibly generalize?! It's just I put the question to my fb friends and a couple of them were like 'oh no, I lived/worked in Surrey and hated it.....people there are so rude blah blah blah blah......'

Then on the same post, two of my southerner friends (one from Bournemouth and the other Bedford ) offered for us all to go and stay with them to get a feel for the various places.....how very unfriendly of them!

My problem is I sound like a female Paddy McGuiness (no lighty - no likey!). So will stick out like a sore thumb. I am very fickle though, and change accents very easily; so not beyond hope!

moomin81 Fri 01-Mar-13 14:26:51

Ps Goco - if we do make the move (Spanish dh fancies it). We'll have to meet up for a brew! :-D

moomin81 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:16:54

Btw Kenlee - where abouts in Lancashire are you from?

upandover Fri 01-Mar-13 22:56:04

Hey moomin81- I live in Reigate. Wonderful place to live- and pretty diverse in terms of regional accents! So you won't really stick out!

There are parts and parts of every town- so you'd need to visit and get a feel. Between Reigate and Redhill is also Earlswood (considered Redhill I think) but has its own train station, and a very good primary school. Slightly less pricey than Reigate so maybe worth a gander too...?

moomin81 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:11:51

Defiantly upandover thank you! I'll have a look on rightmove now. Good that it has it's own station as well. Talked about Reigate with Dh yesterday and showed him a nice house priced 250-275k and he said for him it's a done deal.

We're looking to move for next summer so may have a better budget then anyway as will have more

Are there plenty of mummy and baby groups? Are the secondary schools good too?

bookluva Sun 03-Mar-13 11:27:39

North vs south discussions are verging on regional steroetypes...good & bad people everywhere...

I have a friend who lives in Earlswood so know it quite well - good advice from upandover. When you move, look for a house that's near Earlswood Infant School (OFSTED outstanding) and in the part of Earlswood nearest to Reigate School (OFSTED outstanding - not to be confused with Reigate Grammar School, which is private & v. expensive). Then you'll be sorted!

Loads of mother & toddler groups. They're also listed in a local free magazine - sorry, can't remember its name - you'd have to register with a doctor anyway and I think they can be found in doctors surgeries. I'm sure Redhill library would also have the info.

upandover Sun 03-Mar-13 18:18:57

Magazine is called either 'grapevine' or 'the grapevine' think there is a downloadable PDF online which gives you the daily toddler group listings (in addition to the actual very good magazine)!

3 local surestart centres - dovers green, earlswood and red oak (merstham) each have numerous activities- plus pretty much all the churches have a playgroup too!

We also have MAD academy, Jo-jingles, diddy dabbers...

Plus the ultimate mums hangout- 'heaven' in south nutfield! Which runs children and parent activities.

It really is a well served area for mums with little ones!!!

moomin81 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:06:27

Brilliant - thank you both very much indeed!

And just to reiterate - I wholeheartedly agree with you bookluva. You get the good, the bad and the ugly every where; equal curve of distribution and all that. I was just merely repeating what some of my Fb friends had said and voicing my own insecurities regarding my clampity northern accent.

All your advice very much appreciated and extremely useful.....best get saving now!

May see some of you next year!! :-)) X

YVRtoLHR Tue 12-Mar-13 17:13:16

Just saw this and thought I'd add to the discussion - We currently live in Redhill (the Watercolour development as mentioned in the Evening Standard Article that bookluva mentioned (there is link to the article here is your interested: www.homesandproperty.co.uk/area_guides/uk_areas/spotlightonredhillandreigate.html ) Keeping with the original topic of good transport links, I'd say Redhill wins that card. A fast train to Victoria is only 27 minutes, and a fast train to London Bridge is only about 30 minutes. A train from Redhill to Gatwick is only 7 minutes - I used to work in Crawley, so a 7 minute commute to Gatwick station with a complimentary mini bus by the company I worked for was a dream commute - I could literally roll out of bed at 8am and be at work by 9! To drive to Gatwick from Redhill takes between 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic. Commuting to Heathrow is another story. You'll need to take a train into central London and then back out to Heathrow. Getting to LHR is a bit of a pain, especially with luggage so we usually get a taxi which costs £45-£50 one way (cheaper than parking at the airport!) The drive from Redhill to LHR is about 45 - 60 minutes depending on traffic. Both Redhill and Reigate are only moments away from the M23 and M25 junctions, so very very convenient! There are 2 good sized car parks at the Redhill station, and as far as I'm aware, not much parking at all for Reigate station so people park on the residential roads and walk to the station. To get into London (Victoria or LDN Bridge) the majority of the time I believe you will need to catch a train from Reigate, which will then pass through Redhill anyways and sometimes require you to switch trains. Because it's slightly further out, fares from Reigate are a bit more money. A lot of people I know who live in Reigate skip commuting from Reigate station and just go directly to Redhill where the trains are more frequent.

That being said, we are currently looking to move to Reigate, which is where we spend the majority of our time despite living in Redhill (Redhill to Reigite is a 5 - 10 minute drive). To be honest, I don't know the "ins and outs" of the various areas in Reigate yet, but have been told by other local Reigate people and co-workers to "stay away" from the southern end near Dovers Green and Woodhatch as it can be a bit rougher. I can't say whether or not their comments are correct, as I rarely go that direction. I believe that may have been the case a few years ago, but I think it's improved since then? We are looking to move near Priory Park, so Dovers Green and Woodhatch are a bit too far away from the park for us. The schools in Reigate are very good, but can be very very hard to get in to - I need to brush up on my Reigate school knowledge!

I guess the main thing is that if schools are the most important to you, use the council website to find out what areas the schools are in and move as close as possible to the one you want your children to go to. Redhill housing prices are more affordable than Reigate (and in less demand). The Victorian streets around Reigate town centre and Priory Park are the most in demand, so therefore the most expensive (not including the streets with the large mansions!) We've been house hunting for a year, and have put offers in on several properties, but have been out bit each time. A few months ago we put an offer in on a 2 bed semi-detached house that needed MAJOR work (it hadn't been updated since the 1970's) and it had 19 viewings and 8 offers, which then went to a sealed bid. We lost out on that house as it went for asking price (£450,000) which just goes to show how in demand properties are in the area. Every time we go to an open house, it's the same people or type of people viewing. 2 parents, with 1 child under the age of 3. All looking for a house close to the town centre so their kids can get into a good school. It's a competitive market out there! Good luck, and hopefully we'll bump into each other on the streets of Reigate in the future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now