Local Talk

Schools in Horsell

(4 Posts)
TabbyJo Tue 26-Feb-13 21:35:45

Hello, I'm new to Mumsnet and posting for the first time! Can anyone offer any advice on schools in the Horsell area?

My husband, DS and I are looking to relocate from West London to either Horsell, West Byfleet, or Pyrford. We're under offer on our flat and need to find a house ASAP! The Ofsted for Horsell Junior doesn't seem as positive as some of the others we've looked at, but I love the area, and wonder if anyone can offer any insider knowledge? (we'd like to move somewhere with good state schools at all levels). We've viewed houses in West Byfleet and Pyrford which we also love... are these areas the better option?

Thanks to any Woking-area mums who can help!

Horsellmummyof1 Fri 05-Apr-13 11:19:59

Hi there, I am also brand new to mumsnet.
We moved to Horsell about 18months ago. Chose Woking for the fantastic commuting time to London and out of the whole of Woking we chose Horsell because a) its in walking distance from the station and b) I had heard such good things about the schools(state and private) I have a friend who is a teacher at a primary school in Woking and she says that horsell village is the best in the area. Friends who don't live in Horsell are very envious of us being in the catchment area. My LO is only 1 but I did all my research before we moved from London. St Andrews is a fantastic school too and if we could afford it would definitely send LO there. Unsure about the state high schools people's opinions about all of them in the area keep changing. Not sure I was very helpful but there you go ;)

mrscottini Sun 07-Apr-13 21:44:58

Hello
I think Horsell Village is very good but is only an infant school and the linked Junior does not seem to be very well regarded. I think quite a lot of kids move to private after the infant school. West Byfleet has good schools - West Byfleet Infant and Junior are both very well regarded and generally lovely, as is the Marist if you are Catholic (although it has just had a less good OFSTED report). Pyrford is good but I don't think it is as nice as West Byfleet. West Byfleet has a pretty small catchment area (about 1km last couple of years) and an alternative is The Grange and New Haw Junior in New Haw which didn't used to be as good but now seem to be really well thought of - New Haw takes more kids so has a bigger catchment.
HTH

TabbyJo Wed 24-Apr-13 20:32:09

Hello,
Thanks so much for your advice, Hosellmummyof1 and mrscottini (and sorry for my slow reply!). That's all really useful, and great to hear from mums in the area. We are leaning very much towards West Byfleet, mainly due to my commute to Fulham being easier from there than Woking station. Great to hear the comments on New Haw, as whilst we would ultimately love to buy in West Byfleet, nothing seems to be coming on the market that is quite right for us, but we have found a lovely house to rent for now in New Haw. Thanks again, ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now