Local Talk

Surbiton or Guildford

(6 Posts)
MovingtoSurrey Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:59

Hi
We are planning to move as DD will be starting school next year, want to move some where closer to London where we have good schools, as DH works in London. We don,t mind going private if we don't get a decent state school for DD. We have zeroed in on Guildford or Surbiton as 2 places that suit us. I can find a local job there(as there are some software companies there) DH can get fast train to Waterloo and both these places have decent schools.

We would like to live close to train station, and safe area. So confused which one is a better option for us. Can anyone please suggest.

Thanks

kingstoncherry Fri 12-Apr-13 16:24:29

Hi MovingtoSurrey, why don't you try posting thread on Local Kingston site too (covering Surbiton):

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_kingston_upon_thames

Good luck!

Dededum Sat 20-Apr-13 17:28:13

Have you looked round the towns. Guildford is ultra pretty, great countryside and good state and private schools. Good family though not huge homes near the Station. 300-400k should be your starting place.

Don't know Surbiton at all, though more of a suburb.

MovingtoSurrey Sat 20-Apr-13 22:53:13

Thanks dededum can you recommend nice n safe areas in Guildford around the station.

CahTurbo Mon 29-Apr-13 19:13:20

We used to live just off the Woodbridge Road in Guildford. There are a number of nice & safe streets in that area. We lived on George Rd (GU1 4NR) which is about a 10min walk to the main train station. It's great place to live with young children, very friendly neighbourhood and a real community feel. Loads of parks within walking distance (including the fab Stoke Park). I would definitely recommend the area.

Good luck!

Bekabeech Thu 02-May-13 09:57:32

To be honest no areas of Guildford are really unsafe.
Most places near the station(s) are pretty solidly MC.

The Gyratory can seem "unsafe" at times, but that is mainly the dangerous combination of drunks and cars late at night (I feel worried driving through there at 11, but that is incase I run someone over).

Parts of Madrid Road may not look as pretty as most of Guildford, but I know lots of Naice families who live there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now