Local Talk

Nurseries in Guildford

(13 Posts)
Judez99 Wed 15-May-13 17:34:54

Hi,

I'm new to this group - we are looking to move to the Guildford area in August/September/possibly before then because of my husband's job and I'm in need of some advice as I know very little about the area!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any private-run nurseries in Guildford - I've had a look on here but the only nursery-related threads seem quite old so I'm looking for some up-to-date advice. Does anyone have any experience of Positive Steps (Guildford) or Castle Nursery? Any others? Also, are waiting lists now as long as they seemed to be 3 years ago ie at least 6 months? (cos if they are, I have a problem!) DS will turn 3 in September and goes to a lovely nursery where we currently live. I'm looking for a full-time place for him.

Any advice/recommendations would be very gratefully received as I need to start sorting this out soon! (I'm also looking for areas to live that aren't too far from a decent nursery but I'll post separately on that...)

Thanks in advance!

AddictedToPropertyApps Wed 15-May-13 19:35:01

Hi,
I can't recommend Bright Stars at Cranmore enough but that's in West Horsley. It's amazing! Only suggesting as majority of parents seen to come from Guildford.

Sorry, but I don't know about central Guildford as I live the other way.

Judez99 Thu 16-May-13 17:33:33

Thanks for the tip - have had a look on the map and W Horsley unfortunately in the other direction from my commute so I don't think it would work.

Starfish nursery has also been mentioned to me - does anyone have any experience of that one?

CahTurbo Fri 17-May-13 19:56:15

Hi there,
My two children go to Castle Nursery on Markenfield Rd - can't recommend it highly enough. The staff are lovely, really caring. My DS has been there still he was 1 and my DD started about 6mths ago. I've no ideal about the waiting list, but I imagine a place in the preschool room would be quite easy to get by Aug/Sept as a lot of the children will be leaving for school. Good luck!

Judez99 Fri 17-May-13 21:09:46

Thanks - I'll look into it!

spotthedog22 Wed 03-Jul-13 20:12:19

Have a look at Drayton House in Guildford. Heard great things about Positive Steps. I'd also look at nurseries attached to schools, especially if you are planning private schools- it is much easier to get a child into the nursery often. E.g. Lanesborough, St Hilarys Godalming, Rydes Hill etc.

Judetp Wed 24-Jul-13 15:41:19

My DS goes to Fitzsimmons Nursery and I'm so happy with it. I know at least 3 other people who send their children there of varying ages and they also rave about it. It has the most amazing garden and outside space. There is a primary school nearby, and when the children are older Fitzsimmons also does an after-school club and picks them up. We are actually moving next week and I was nearly crying when I had to tell them we were taking him out. He loves it there. Definitely have a look at it. Other friends have children at castle nursery at markenfield and they are happy. I have friends who were considering positive steps for their new baby but decided against it. My friend ended up a SAHM but was going to use Drayton House. Outside space is my thing, hence why we chose Fitzsimmons, Starfish has v small outside space. Our 2nd choice was Christopher Robin montessori in Merrow.

inguildford Thu 25-Jul-13 16:17:56

Our wee one goes to Starfish, they have always been very good with her and she enjoys it.

Part of the decision was location (not far from where we live) and also the fact that the staff were friendly/helpful.

It may be worth calling a couple up and popping in for a visit so you get a feel for your own preference - good luck with the move!

Guildfordite Mon 12-Aug-13 13:39:38

Another vote for Fitzsimmons Place Nursery here, my DS is 18mo and is incredibly happy there. The outside space is great, they have a massive hall that they can use as 'outside space' in bad weather or just for a change of scene and the staff have been fantastic. They all seem to really enjoy what they do and staff turnover is incredibly low which I think is a good sign.

Suz191 Fri 06-Sep-13 08:57:56

Hi there,
If you're looking for something different there is a new childcare facility opening in Effingham as of January - small numbers. My daughter has been using a Tutor all over the summer and it has frankly been fantastic for her, she has gone back really confident. The lady running the tutoring agency is starting a childcare arm to the business in January taking a small number of children as a mini private nursery. I've seen the initial materials and it is really different, very parent friendly and educational in approach. I'm thinking of possibly enrolling my younger child Toby - he already has French classes with one of the ladies who will be doing childcare - the staff are really high calibre, my Tutor is a head teacher. Effingham is a 20 mins drive for you though! - and might be in the wrong direction for you. The website is big-bear-bespoke-education.co.uk X

Clairey122 Fri 13-Sep-13 00:36:08

Hi all

We are currently trying to choose between fitzsimmons and positive steps and would also welcome views. Both similar distance from house/ commute liked the outside space at both, kids seem happy, v different feel positive steps newer and more corporate fitzsimmons more quirky and established. Any views on the social side of things for parents?would like to be able to meet other mums hopefully through the nursery for support

Thanks
Xx

Judetp Mon 23-Sep-13 14:14:00

just providing another update. DS is currently at a new nursery and now we've had a chance to compare, we can see that Fitzsimmons was really outstanding and unfortunately we've been a bit spoiled as I don't think we're going to find anywhere else that compares. DS was so happy there, and the quality of the staff was fab. We are continuing to use one of the girls for babysitting. Our new nursery is corporate owned and I see the difference. One thing we noticed was staff rotas. As fitzsimmons wasn't long opening hours, it was very stable all day. With our new place, it's open longer which I think positive steps is too, so I would ask how they do the rota. You want minimum numbers of people coming and going each week. I'm not sure about meeting other mums, as I tend to find drop off/pick up is hectic, people just want to get in and out as quick as possible! You may find your local NCT group is better for meeting other mums?

MissRedIndie Wed 30-Oct-13 11:20:28

I'm another vote for Fitzsimmons, have two children there in different age groups and am really happy. We moved house to the other side of town a year or so ago, and still schlep across town just so I could keep them there. They get the kids outside every day whatever the weather, sometimes twice for older age groups, and use the large hall for 'outside' play when the weather is just too dire. Many of the nursery girls are willing to babysit, and those are are publish their numbers on a noticeboard so you can just contact any that you like (rates are pre-advertised so no awkwardness there). They are very accomodating and manage the medical conditions my children have very professionally and carefully, and will accomodate 'particular' schedules for your baby in the baby room. Can't rate highly enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now