Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Local Talk

help with schoolsnin Dorking

(14 Posts)
bubble1983 Fri 22-Nov-13 20:29:38

Hey, we are moving to Dorking from sussex and need help with schools. We have one dd who needs a reception place next sept. Can anyone recommend a good school and/or ones to avoid. I've heard that st Michaels is good and north downs in brockham is no good, I did quiet like that one though. Any help would be really appreciated.

Bourdic Sun 01-Dec-13 12:15:07

Where will you be living? Some of the schools are impossible to get into unless you are in the catchment area. The open days were a couple of weeks ago - my dgs will be going to Brockham - dd thought it very good and I have a friend with very bright dd and stepson with learning difficulties and the school is great with both of them

bubble1983 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:19:57

Thank you bourdic, we will be on the a24 near boxhill/west humble end. I really liked brockham school but I also heard st Michaels is just as good and is nearer to where we will be living.

Bourdic Wed 04-Dec-13 00:17:39

Sorry dont know anything about St M's but feel that if it were awful I would know - IYSWIM! Good luck with the move

Bourdic Thu 05-Dec-13 07:55:14

Is it relevant to your decision that St Ms is only an infant school?

bubble1983 Thu 05-Dec-13 22:22:27

Hey bourdic, it doesn't worry me about it only being an infant school im just want a good school for dd although an all through school would be better rather than keep moving dd. What do you think? Also do you know of any toddler groups? Thank you for your help

Bourdic Fri 06-Dec-13 22:56:58

My understanding is that St Michael's is the feeder school for St Martin's - would you be OK with that? I don't know about toddler groups but I'll see what I can find out - who is that for?

bubble1983 Sat 07-Dec-13 22:56:36

Hey, I would prefer she just stayed in one school rather than changing but if they are good schools then I suppose its worth it. Im going to view st Michaels pre school and the preschool in brockham too. I was just after some groups that I can do with dd when she is not
At pre school/nursery. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Bourdic Sun 08-Dec-13 23:36:30

I hear good things about the two nurseries at Brockham and St Michaels. Both have strong links with their respective local schools so if you decided on St Michaels School it would make sense for your child to go to St Michaels nursery- my guess would be that you could then find out about any other groups from the mums you met at the nursey. Have you visited St Martins by the way ?

bubble1983 Mon 09-Dec-13 15:49:36

Ah thats good then. Im going to see both pre schools after xmas. It definitely makes sense to use the same pre school and primary school so I will try to do that. I haven't visited any of the primary schools yet I will do that after xmas too. Is st Martins the infant school after st Michaels? You have been a massive help thank you very much.

Bourdic Mon 09-Dec-13 16:27:33

Right - what it basically boils down to is this
Option 1 - St Michaels Nusery, followed by two years at St Michaels Infant School, followed by 4 years at St Martins Primary School which is infant and junior school but reserves some places for St Michaels pupils from year 3
Option 2 - Brockham nursery followed by 6 years at Brockham school ( or North Downs Primary School to give it its proper name )

When are you moving? It's difficult isn't it sorting out schools when there are application deadlines etc and you haven't moved

bubble1983 Mon 09-Dec-13 22:16:09

Yeah those options make sense and I will definitely choose one of them. Nightmare isn't it. You have been a great help thank you. We move in February next year.

Bourdic Thu 12-Dec-13 17:31:02

Well good luck with all that - get in touch if you think I can be of use

bubble1983 Thu 12-Dec-13 22:48:23

You have been very helpful thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now