Local Talk

Chinthurst School - Tadworth - any info?

(8 Posts)
TwoBoysItsNoisey Tue 03-Dec-13 12:46:19

Hi all - I am looking to move my children into the private sector - I have two boys, one currently in Y1 and one due to start school Sept 2014.

Since I am doing this quite late, Chinthurst School in Tadworth is the only school in the area that currently have vacancies for both - the only other route is to move one into a private school and sit patiently for a place for the other (most waiting list for my 3 year old are huge).

I am booked to look at Chinthurst in the new year but wanted some first hand opinions about the school. In addition the one thing that concerned me was why did it have so many vacancies? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

kingstoncherry Tue 10-Dec-13 16:07:40

Hello, we've shared your post on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MumsnetSurrey

and also via Twitter (@mumsnetsurrey), so hopefully you'll get feedback shortly.

Thanks

Local Editor

KazBee Tue 10-Dec-13 21:11:34

Hello,
My son has been at Chinthurst since the age of 2, and more than happy to recommend it, it has been through a some changes over the past few years, but its now buzzing building on traditional values and modern teaching to becoming something unique and special.New Headmaster Mr Williams is really nice and has high standards. Its growing week by week but has a cut of at 250(16 in a class) in the whole school.If you let me know what year you are planning to look at I can give you more information. The main thing to say is that choosing a school are very individual and you will only know if its right for you once you visit.

I hope thats usefulsmile
K

TwoBoysItsNoisey Wed 11-Dec-13 15:59:30

Thanks you very useful. My eldest son is currently in Y1 and my youngest will be going into Reception in Sept 2014.

Thanks

P

chattyone Sat 14-Dec-13 20:08:51

I suggest you read the Chinthusrt Chronicles on their website at http://www.chinthurstschool.co.uk/the-chronicle/

In the edition for 13th December the headmaster, at the end says goodbye to head of pre-prep (she was there about a year, I think) and also to Jon Albert who was sports director and also Seniior Master (he was appointed to that in September. More interestingly he says farewell "to all the pupils leaving us" - which is kind of odd for Christmas. Who leaves then unless things are going on they don't like? That may explain the vacancies. I'm told Year 8 has one child in it, Year 7 just 4 and year 6 about the same - and at the end of this year, Year 6 will get smaller. All is not well with this school I think.

You have to read past the self-congratulatory stuff and look for the signs. Others have previously mentioned the dreadful finances on Mumsnet threads.

TwoBoysItsNoisey Wed 18-Dec-13 12:07:29

Hi - Chattyone - do your children go to chinthurst?

Kidstaxidriver Sun 05-Jan-14 20:16:45

Hi
I have two children at the school who are both exceptionally happy, and I can highly recommend it, particularly if you want a school where the emphasis is on the individual development of each child with a family ethos. There is certainly not a 'bums on seats' ethos at Chinthurst.

Chattyone is right in that there has been a recent change of headmaster and that the Sports Director has left, but he has been at the school for 11 years, and has accepted a promotion at a much larger Prep school, so there's nothing unusual about that.

There are lower numbers of pupils in the higher end of the school but this does not affect either of my children's year groups at all. The pre-prep is buzzing and now has 2 classes in Reception and 2 classes in Year 1! I read somewhere that it was the fastest growing prep school in Surrey, and I think it is almost at capacity for reception in 2014.

My advice is that you need to go and look for yourself, and make a decision based on your own children. I would ask the school yourself about any concerns you might have regarding pupil numbers. I also know of only 3 pupils who left in December, and 2 of them belong to the Director of Sport who is taking them with him to his new school!

I'd go and have a look yourself and make a decision then.

TwoBoysItsNoisey Thu 30-Jan-14 11:25:26

In case anyone reads this in the future I just wanted to say that I have now visited Chinthurst and hope for my boys to start there in September. It is a lovely school and not at all a "school in trouble" like someone on this thread suggested. Yes it has had its down times but they are firmly behind them and it is now a thriving beautiful school at which I am sure that my boys will be very happy. Thank you to everyone that took the time to answer my posts and I look forward to becoming part of the Chinthurst family very soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now