Local Talk

Surrey schools - advice needed

(6 Posts)
cunningf0x Thu 27-Feb-14 08:25:10

Hi all,

I'm not from this country, so was after some advice. We currently live in North Guildford, and are looking to move as the school here aren't so good apparently (Christs College or Kings). We can't afford the good parts of Guildford, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of other parts of Surrey to live in that are near decent schools? I'm not precious about them being amazing, but I do want them to be good. My husband works in Kingston, but can commute fairly far. I have no clue about areas that are good, so any advice would be great! Our budget for a house is only around 350k.

Hillary25 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:56:53

With that budget you could look at the catchment for Fullbrook in New Haw or Winston Churchill in Woking.

Guildford78 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:44:13

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29427522.html

This would get you into County I think.

Frimley is much more affordable and Tomlinson school looks good.

cunningf0x Fri 28-Feb-14 09:43:08

That's really useful, thank you!

Sucuj Mon 14-Apr-14 21:37:04

We are planning to move to Guildford for their supposedly good schools. We believe we can afford a good neighbourhood, but since we will not be able to move to England (from the Netherlands) before July I don't even know if it matters where we will live. If we are literally living next to a good school, can they still send us to Kings College? BTW what is exactly wrong with it? I know students' results have been disappointingly bad, but why? Bad teachers? Bad curriculum? "Bad" children/parents? All the reports say how much it has improved but it still gets ofsted3... or not?

Bekabeech Sun 20-Apr-14 21:09:10

King's isn't that bad, but it is in the middle of a deprived housing estate. It does have a good new Headteacher, and has had quite a lot of work to turn it round. King's did still seem to have space after allocations day, so may well be where you are offered. However you can appeal for another school and may get a place that way.
If you post on the main Mumsnet Education area there are experts who can help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now