Local Talk

Dorking

(3 Posts)
OooNew Tue 22-Jul-14 12:19:23

Myself and my husband are planning to move out from London to a nice place with nice schools. Dorking is on our radar along with so many other places.

There are so many factors to take into account the task is mammoth!!

Of course I like the sound of the Ashcombe School. Do you need to live very close to get in?

Are there any areas of Dorking to avoid? Or any areas just outside Dorking I should consider.

Our budget is about £450,000 and I think I am unrealistically hoping for at least 3 double bedrooms, a big kitchen diner and a large south facing garden.

My husband works in Victoria which is why Dorking would be fantastic but not so good if we live so far away it takes half an hour to get to the station.

Id be grateful of any help.

Thank you.

DIYwannabe Thu 28-Aug-14 17:54:31

There's a number of private roads, across the road from Ashcombe school which have lovely houses. They are also an ok walk from the station, which is actually a little bit out of Dorking so if you want walking distance, you need to stay North West of Dorking. So Chalkpit Tce, Yew Tree Rd, Keppel Rd, Calvert Rd, Deepdene Vale, are all lovely streets. Fairfield Drv as well, but I think some of the properties might be a bit smaller.

If you're willing to drive and park at the station, that opens up more possibilities. Westcott is a gorgeous area, there's some lovely houses just north of Dorking. There's a few small villages around as well.

MrsSlats Thu 02-Oct-14 14:37:24

Dorking is lovely, but not so great if your are commuting to London - the rail journey is very stop - start. If you are rail commuters I'd look along the main protsmouth to waterloo line (A3 corridor) where the trains are faster and make less stops. Haslemere, Witley and Godalming are all less than an hour to London.

Ashcombe is great - no, you don't have to live on the doorstep to get in. Children from Westcott go there. You could also look at Brockham, Westhumble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now