Local Talk

Moving to Weybridge - but where??

(13 Posts)
Weyhey Fri 08-Aug-14 09:54:41

Hoping any lovely Weybridgers might be able to shed light on different areas of Weybridge, to help narrow down a property search. We have a 3 yo and are looking to rent initially, as we're totally unfamiliar with the area (bar a whistle-stop drive through we took a couple of weeks ago!)

We have the opp to move to the Vale Road area in Oatlands, which is great for schools etc, but I'm worried it's a tricky location to connect directly to either Weybridge or Walton rail stations via bus (no car at present). And that it might be a little too far away from the main town and riverside action smile

The other locations are Glencoe Road and New Road (off Prince's Road) area. Curious as to what people think of these three spots - their virtues and disadvantages etc? Any help really appreciated!!

fairgroundsnack Fri 08-Aug-14 10:06:39

Weybridge is lovely but not great for commuting into town as the station isn't in the town centre. Lots of people drive to the station, there is a big car park.

Glencoe road very nice - all those roads off Portmore Park are good. In terms is schools there is St Charles but have to be Catholic or St James. Or good for St George's if looking at private.

New Road also nice and more convenient for station but not so near the river. Still good for town.

I wouldn't go for Vale Road if you don't have a car - not great for town or station. Good for schools though. How long would you be without a car?

I would pick Glencoe I think - I have a friend with a 3yo round the corner so let me know if you go there!

Weyhey Fri 08-Aug-14 15:41:10

Thanks so much fairgroundsnack smile That's all incredibly useful intell - we instantly liked the Glencoe Road area, so good to know that we should trust our instincts smile

We'll probably not have a car for sometime, as we've always been tube-based to date, and it's only my husband who will need to commute occasionally in the short term (as he often works from home). In general, we prefer things to be walk-able/short bus ride.

Off now to Google the schools and bus situation in that neck of the woods (we're not Catholic/CofE)...

Weyhey Mon 11-Aug-14 10:27:31

Just bumping this thread after doing more research into the bus/rail commute from the Glencoe Road area of Weybridge. Just wondering if anyone does a similar journey to the one myself or my husband will have to do on occasion?

Ideally we need to catch the 09:02 peak South West train to Waterloo. It looks like we'd have to catch the 08:48 bus on the Abellio 451 service from Ship Yard stop, to leave enough time to catch the aforementioned train.

First question is whether both the 451 bus service and also the 9:02 train tend to be reliable in most Weybridge commuters' experience?

We were also wondering if Weybridge has a PlusBus equivalent, for combining onward bus travel with their monthly rail pass?

The next question is about the 436 bus service - again, is this generally reliable, and is it much of a walk from the south side stop to the station itself? We might have to catch the earlier 08:43 train, but the 436 would only leave 4 mins to get from stop to platform :/

Thanks again for any tips and insight smile

beccajoh Mon 11-Aug-14 10:31:08

I haven't got the train from Weybridge but used to commute from Walton and the trains are pretty good. Even on the peak rush hour trains you usually get a seat. I don't know about buses I'm afraid.

Weyhey Mon 11-Aug-14 10:50:29

Thanks beccajoh! smile

fairgroundsnack Tue 12-Aug-14 10:35:31

I usually get an earlier train than that, but they are generally very reliable (subject to the occasional suicide or lightening strike!) and you would generally get a seat if you get on at Weybridge.

You can walk from the Glencoe Road area to the station in about 20 minutes if that's an option. I don't know about the buses but the walk from the bus stop to the station is very short - just round the corner I think.

I think the buses are reliable but not necessarily to the minute - the four minute window might mean you miss the train if the bus is running a few minutes late. The trains go about every 10 minutes in rush hour though.

Weyhey Tue 12-Aug-14 15:37:57

Thanks again fairgroundsnack smile Walking definitely sounds like the best, cheapest and healthiest option by far (now just need to persuade the husband!)

Been looking into schools after your earlier post and think we'll be in the catchment for Manby Lodge (as the nearest non-denom to that area). Might do a separate post about that, to canvass folks opinions, as we've only really heard chatter about Oatlands so far. Plus, think there might have been a change of Head at Manby recently, so will be good to hear how that's going from local parents.

There doesn't seem to be a working website for Manby and can't visit any schools until after the hols, so Ofsted and gossip will be all we have to go on smile x

AddlestoneReVampPlease Tue 12-Aug-14 15:42:17

Would cycling to the station be an option? The buses are okay but not great.

As for schools there is a shortage of spaces locally so I would focus on how likely you are to get a place in a school you are happy to accept. I've heard mixed views on all the Weybridge schools so I think it would be a case of visiting and then going with your gut as to what suits your dd best.

Weyhey Sat 23-Aug-14 12:20:04

Thanks AddlestoneReVampPlease smile Only just saw your response. Funnily enough I was just looking into cycling options the other day. Including that amazing 6 mile stretch along the river towards Hampton, where you'd then be in Oyster zone. Could be a lovely way to start the day during the finer weather months smile

I noticed that there are quite a few properties nearer to the station in a place called the Brooklands development that seem to offer a lot more space for dollar. Does anyone know whether we'd feel a little too out of Weybridge action if we were based there?

AddlestoneReVampPlease Sat 23-Aug-14 13:31:52

Hmmm I'm not sure it depends how close you want to be to Weybridge Centre - you're actually closer to Byfleet and New Haw (the places) rather than Weybridge. What sort of life to you envisage? Getting in your car to drive everywhere or walking to places?

Oh and there is a shortage of school places so I would look at how far you are from your nearest state schools... ask how far away their current year R lived and got in without getting a sibling place.

Weyhey Sat 23-Aug-14 20:13:32

Thanks for the advice smile Definitely think all signs are pointing to nearer to town centre / riverside area, which will suit our lifestyle better. Just need to get the other half on two wheels...

School-wise, I think we'll just make Manby Lodge's 'catchment' (as nearest non-denom), but could well be scuppered by siblings/high number of closer applicants :/

Have just noticed though that their website is thankfully back up and running, so will have a read of that this eve. Hopefully can book in some visits after school hols too smile

AddlestoneReVampPlease Sat 23-Aug-14 20:20:03

Driving anywhere around here is time consuming and slow so any daily committment to having to drive is best avoided!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now