Local Talk

New to Hersham - Applying for Pre-School

(4 Posts)
Momof2two Sun 17-Aug-14 02:21:54

I'm moving to Westcar Lane between Hersham and Walton-on-Thames next week from the United States, and want to enroll my 3 year old son in pre-school. Burhill Infant school is closest, but I understand it's very popular and is usually over-subscribed. What are my options? I'm fine with waiting a few months so we can adjust to life in a new country, but don't want him to miss out on making friends or falling behind.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

beccajoh Thu 11-Sep-14 20:31:54

Presume you're in the UK now - Westcar Lane is v near me! There's a few local pre-schools. Fairmile Montessori, Burwood Playgroup, River Mole, Happy Stars, Whiteley Village. Plus a few more I can't remember off the top of my head! I'm not sure how easy getting a place will be, though, as they're often over-subscribed. There's a scheme in the UK called Sure Start, which is centres where families can go for advice, play sessions and so on. It'd be worth popping into the local centre at Burhill School and registering. They run free or low cost play sessions where you can meet other mums and your little boy can play with other children. There's also a very good Facebook group called Walton and Hersham mums.

Momof2two Thu 11-Sep-14 20:45:47

Beccajoh, Thanks so much for the advice. I am here, and was able to get him a place at the River Mole School in Esher and am on the wait list for Burhill. Whitely Village sounded promising, but I understand they are having trouble with their Ofsted approval and are only open for 2 hours a day at this point. I'm assuming that's why they never got back to me. Thanks again!

beccajoh Thu 11-Sep-14 20:49:20

I gather Whiteley has just moved into new premises but it's not been inspected by Ofsted yet... Hope you're settling in ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now