Considering moving to villages around!

(4 Posts)
Jollymomma Fri 13-May-16 18:41:41

Are there any mums who live or have (recently) moved to Fetcham/ Bookham / Leatherhead.. who could kindly help me please. .

We are looking to buy a home in one of these areas, moving out from SW London. While it all looks lovely and refreshing after London and houses have generally much more space inside and out, it is so hard to know what everyday life with kids is like. We have a 5yr old and 2yr old and my husband commutes to canary wharf (via Waterloo)
Any insight and advise would be so very amazing and helpful!
Here are a few things that I'm interested in but please anything at all that you wish to say will be helpful and is welcome. :

Is there anything major you miss from London? Anything you wish you had checked or done differently before the move?
How is your hubby /yourself coping with the commute..especially if to Waterloo and beyond? How do you/your husband get to the station if you live some distance away, is cycling there realistic? how is parking at the station?
Things to do with kids... presumably parks/playgrounds, swimming classes and some 'toddler groups' in Leatherhead?
Schools...anything to avoid?? Do waiting lists for primary schools generally move in your opinion..?
GPs and healthcare generally, are you happy with accessibility and care?

Thank you SO much in advance!!

willowsimp Fri 03-Jun-16 23:31:56

Hi there - I can't really help answer your questions but your post drew my attention as we are about to move to leaherhead ourselves. I just wanted to say that you're better off posting this in the main site - on the chat section - more traffic there for you šŸ˜€

Optimist1 Sat 04-Jun-16 19:45:16

Visited Fetcham for the first time recently and was very impressed with the range of shops in the village - lots of independent traders (including a very impressive organic store, with attached cafe and an old-style hardware shop). There's a good leisure centre in Leatherhead. Sorry, that's all I can tell you - I live close by but my haunts are dictated by family situated the other direction!

Bekabeech Sat 04-Jun-16 19:54:04

Personally if I was moving to that area, I'd be looking much more at Bookham, as I really rate Howard of Effingham as a secondary (and you will probably not get in from the other areas). There are lots of good schools around.
The commute isn't too bad, and although it's a slower line you can usually get a seat in the morning, which makes it much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now