Raising kids in Surrey

(4 Posts)
JessieG123 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:26:03

I just found a really interesting article about what it's like for children to grow up in Surrey (http://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/24/things-youll-know-grew-surrey-16263).

Me and my partner are thinking of moving to Guildford with our two boys and want to know how true it all is.

Would love some surrey mummies to have a read and tell me if it's right!

mumhum Fri 26-Aug-16 07:59:03

I am glad I left Surrey, for many of the reasons in the article!

Daisies123 Fri 26-Aug-16 14:56:20

I'm just finding out- 8mo in Surrey. Would prefer not to live in south east but that's where the jobs are...

just2girls Tue 30-Aug-16 14:06:56

There's a lot of that I don't recognise although I can see why the stereotype exists.

The bike thing and the thing about everyone thinking you're posh are definitely true in my experience.

I grew up in Surrey (and still live there) and there are 'normal' people that aren't monied country estate types. There are really ropey areas too that are nothing like the idyll people assume if they've never been here. I am happy to be bringing up my daughters here but I think I would notice more of the snobbery if I hadn't grown up here and just thought if it as home.

The article does seem to focus on Guildford a lot though and that might be different to my home town (Reigate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now