Local Talk

Support for Parents

(4 Posts)
Sarahparent Mon 17-Dec-12 19:34:10

I noticed that there were no discussions in this section, so thought I would start one!

We all know that parenting is one of the hardest jobs we will ever have (but one of the most rewarding)! Sometimes we all need a little extra support.

At The Parent Project, Sheena and I have worked with hundreds of parents', most of whom say that 'isolation' and feeling that others are coping makes problems worse. We believe that a problem shared is a problem halved!

If you are a parent of a child under 5 then there are plenty of support groups and services including Children's Centres (one-stop shop for advice and information on early years) and the fantastic charity Home-Start (who provide home visiting volunteers to families in need).

If you a parent of school age children you might be lucky enough to have the support of a Home-link worker or Parent Support Adviser through your childs school.

National websites such as Mumsnet give lots of great advice and your local library is a good source of information on activities and clubs in your local area.

The Parent Project offers support and advice to parents living in Surrey - why not follow us on Twitter at Parentproject1 or visit our website at www.theparentproject.co.uk

LoftyAndWendy Sat 02-Mar-13 20:27:20

Thank you Sarah.

slrrld Tue 12-Mar-13 22:00:38

This is great Sarah! I'm a Co-Ordinator at Home-Start East Surrey and it's lovely to hear that our volunteers are valued so highly across a range of parents and organisations. May I also promote a local addition to our service, in the form of a parent led support and play group for parents of special needs babies and toddlers. The group offers something a little different from the children's centres and has access to a wealth of advice relating to special needs, including education.

Sarahparent Mon 15-Apr-13 21:24:41

Thank you ladies for your replies. Surrey certainly has alot to offer parents!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now