Local Talk

Where can I find a job near to home? Tadworth

(6 Posts)
LivingtheTadlife Sun 10-Feb-13 21:20:01

I am commuting into central London and the time has come to find something more local. There are plenty of big companies nearby (Pfizer, L&G, Fidelity etc) but they all use global online recruitment sites and I'm having no luck. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get to speak to anyone in a large local organisation, bypassing the online applications from which nothing comes back?!

camptownraces Tue 26-Feb-13 21:37:53

What's your line of work?

Talk to local friends and neighbours.
There are small firms around, too.

You could try phoning HR Depts, but may have to be persistent and thorough to get anywhere.

You may need help from a contact to get your application through for consideration, to the top of the pile so to speak. That's why it's good to know people who do work locally.

happyAvocado Thu 04-Apr-13 09:25:22

I would say to keep trying.
I got a job in Reading - the only recruitment company which works with my employer is based in Aylesbury.
You just have to apply for local jobs and make sure that your up to date CV details are on Linkedon - I get more and more requests from recruiters via Linkedin.
Use Reed website as well.

jamhawk2002 Sun 16-Jun-13 14:15:59

My wife found some success by first of all going through the phone book and preparing a list of local companies she was interested in. After that she grabbed a few copies of her CV, put on a smart suit and went door to door. She found that if she explained politely to the receptionist that she didn't have an appointment, but she would like to speak to a member of HR about employment opportunities and was willing to wait then most of them were happy to help. Meeting people face to face seemed to make a big impression - demonstrating initiative etc.

We put together a few thoughts/hints/and tips about our recent search for work (I was also out of work for a while) here. Hopefully some of that information might help. As happyAvocado mentions - persistence is key. Keep trying and try not to let it get you down. Good luck!

jamhawk2002 Sun 16-Jun-13 14:18:54

My wife found some success by first of all going through the phone book and preparing a list of local companies she was interested in. After that she grabbed a few copies of her CV, put on a smart suit and went door to door. She found that if she explained politely to the receptionist that she didn't have an appointment, but she would like to speak to a member of HR about employment opportunities and was willing to wait then most of them were happy to help. Meeting people face to face seemed to make a big impression - demonstrating initiative etc.

We put together a few thoughts/hints/and tips about our recent search for work (I was also out of work for a while) here. Hopefully some of that information might help. As happyAvocado mentions - persistence is key. Keep trying and try not to let it get you down. Good luck!

Poems Thu 20-Jun-13 21:29:18

Good summary and a few new tips as well. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now