Special needs parents in Sutton area - need advice

(8 Posts)
pattyg0 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:28:10

Hi there, I posted this on the SEN board as well but trying the Sutton board as well.
We are moving to the Sutton area in a couple of months and need to find a suitable school for my autistic son who is currently in year 1.
Where we are in North London now he has a statement and a 1-to-1 assistant in a mainstream school and is doing really well with this and we want to keep a similar thing going when we move. I also want to find a place that can take his younger sister who is starting reception in September. I want to know if there are any schools that anyone recommends or any ones to avoid. I'm reading ofsted reports and I'm going to try and speak to the Senco's but really want to get personal experience from local people.

pattyg0 Wed 16-Mar-16 11:14:12

Don't suppose anyone can help with this - the move date is coming up...

LocalEditorSutton Wed 16-Mar-16 18:05:22

Hi pattyg0

Have you looked here?

Have you got any Sutton schools in mind, as presumably you will by now have an idea as to whereabouts in the borough you will be living?

It might be an idea to turn the question on its head and comment on what schools you are considering (or are likely to be allocated), and then let Sutton Mumsnetters talk thro' their experiences from that perspective?

pattyg0 Fri 18-Mar-16 09:43:55

Thanks Kate
I've seen the local offer and have been in contact with some of the schools.

Our new house is in south Sutton, so nearest the primary schools will be Devonshire, Barrow Hedges, Manor Park. Slightly further away are Robin Hood, Stanley Park, and Bandon Hill (who I know have a resource base there).

stridesy Thu 05-May-16 17:41:19

Hi ive just seen this.Have you found a school place yet?there is a sutton fb group if your interested and sutton nas group.my son now goes to an sen school unfortunately did not have a good experience with his mainstream school!the first three you mentioned all have experience with sen x

pattyg1 Thu 05-May-16 20:49:34

Hi stridesy. We haven't got a space yet, first our previous borough went and lost a bunch of his paperwork and now we have to wait and see who has spaces and is able to provide what's on his statement, then employ an assistant, could take a few more weeks...

I've actually gone to see some schools now so getting an idea of who is/isn't good, however it's just going to depend on who's willing to take him on at this stage of the year.

CurlyCKickingK Mon 23-May-16 23:07:17

Late to the party, but a friend has her son at Foresters base, and another friend is linked to Bandon Hill Wood Field. Both give good reports, I don't know if that helps.

pattyg1 Fri 27-May-16 09:45:33

That's helpful actually. I went to see Bandon Hill last week, not the base but the mainstream bit, I was really impressed. Hopefully we find out next week where he's got a space, it's been a long wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now