Starting a Mumsnet Sutton Book Group - would there be any interest? - POSTPONED

(20 Posts)
LocalEditorSutton Wed 23-Mar-16 17:35:46

At our most recent meet-up last week, we discussed setting up a Book Group, mindful of neighbouring Mumsnet Merton & Wimbledon's successfully run one (with FREE books supplied to them by publishers too!).

Mindful that the key to running one successfully is finding a convenient and congenial central location where we could chat comfortably (i.e. not too noisy which excludes most pubs), whilst having a glass of wine or two blush, what do you think and can you suggest anywhere that would fit the bill for an evening meet-up (probably towards the end of the working week)?

We'd love to hear your thoughts wink.

Many thanks!

Kate & Helen

ManniC Thu 24-Mar-16 12:26:38

Im looking to make new friends with local mums in Sutton. Haven't been to a meet up yet, the book group sounds like a great idea I would love to join!

mumof2lovelies Fri 25-Mar-16 15:00:26

Hi ladies. The book group is a great idea. X

LocalEditorSutton Wed 13-Apr-16 10:31:42

Hi ManniC and mumof2lovelies

Quite happy to go ahead and organise a book group meet-up soon (early May?) to see if there's enough interest to make it a going concern. BUT we do need a nice, quietish, easily accessible bar or restaurant (with a bar area) where we can chat easily without it being too noisy (or is that too big an ask?).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

LetMeBe Mon 18-Apr-16 02:11:23

Hello, sorry for the late response I couldn't find the thread sad

I've not been living in Sutton long so shall have a good think x

lillyscoffeeshop Wed 27-Apr-16 21:04:11

We would be happy to host your book club at Lilly's Coffee Shop & Pantry in Nork. Please see for details. We are boutique coffee shop, nice and quiet and serve the best coffee, tea and cake around.

LocalEditorSutton Tue 03-May-16 11:33:16

Hi lillycoffeeshop thank you for the offer but I think Nork is a bit too far afield to suit our purposes on this occasion (although your coffee shop might indeed suit for a local Mumsnetters' daytime meet-up).

Ideally we are really looking for a venue that is open well into the evening, as we'd envisage the book group would meet between 7.30pm-9.30pm (give or take half an hour).

Helen & Kate

MrsSpagBol Tue 03-May-16 15:06:12

Hi Helen and Kate
What about the Wallington Arms - right near Wallington train station?

LocalEditorSutton Wed 04-May-16 13:58:14

Hi MrsSpagBol

Thanks for your suggestion. Is it a nice pub? It looks it but you never can tell. Perhaps we have our venue at last! If so, time to get the diaries out and set a date to meet up.

Maybe after half-term would be good - early June? Presume we would most likely be avoiding Friday night? What day of the week would best suit everyone - Wednesday or Thursday? Time - 7.30pm for 8pm?

Look forward to hearing from those of you who are interested.

Kate & Helen

MrsSpagBol Wed 04-May-16 17:03:11

Oh dear! The pressure grin

I thought it had good service and a good menu. I am certainly no pub conosseuier though 🤔. don't get out much. I am happy to go and have another look tomorrow, if you like?

LocalEditorSutton Mon 09-May-16 06:36:44

Thanks for the offer (and apologies for the delay in getting back to you).

I guess we'll roll with it for the first meet-up, and if it's too noisy we'll have another think.

You are spot on though to have come up with such an 'easy to get to' venue. If we are going to consider pubs/bars then All Bar One in Sutton might also be worth considering for alternate book group meet-ups?

Any opinions on what night of the week we should meet? We think Wednesday evenings would be quieter generally, so possibly the option to go for?

Views most welcome wink.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Helen & Kate

MrsSpagBol Mon 09-May-16 20:17:04

Weds sounds good!

How and when are we going to set the book?

LocalEditorSutton Fri 13-May-16 06:38:20

Hi MrsSpagBol

I think initially it might just be a good idea to bring with you something you've read recently (or are in the process of reading) and we can just have a bit of a general discussion about those ones. I'm reading 'Noonday' (Pat Barker) at the moment. Then we'll make a decision on the evening about what to read next.

Why not start the chat on this thread about possible next reads? Or should we start a new one?

As for dates, what about Wednesday 15 or 22 of June?.

Kate & Helen

LocalEditorSutton Wed 25-May-16 14:13:16

Just to say that we've now got a book group meet-up page with details of the first meeting.

Please do come along - we'd love to meet you.

Initially perhaps we could all bring along a copy of our most recently read book. Talking about those could start a wider 'literary works' discussion, and perhaps from that point we could start thinking about what we'd like to read first as a group?

Looking forward to it. Perhaps you could sign up on the page too so that we can continue the chat there?

Kate & Helen

LocalEditorSutton Tue 14-Jun-16 11:54:33

The inaugural book group meeting is only a week away. It would be great if you could let us know if you're planning on coming.

All welcome.

Look forward to meeting you.

LocalEditorSutton Mon 20-Jun-16 20:46:32

HI Sutton Mumsnetters

It would be great if you could sign up to the Book Group meet up page if you're interested in coming along this Wednesday.

Don't want to find that I'm there alone sad.

Also, for all you bookworms, we are pleased to offer you a 20% discount code (using BookfestSutton20) for the inaugural Mumsnet Bookfest, taking place this Saturday, 25 June, in London.

Instructions as follows:

- Go to the Bookfest home page, and click 'Book tickets' on the left side of the screen;

- Select the number of tickets you want - you can book multiple sessions at the same time;

- Once you've chosen all the sessions you want, scroll down and click 'Enter promotional code' BookfestSutton20;

- Enter the discount code you've been given - BookfestSutton20 - and click 'Apply' which will give you 20% discount;

- Click 'Order Now' and complete the booking form. The 20% discount will have been applied to the tickets (which you will be able to see at the top of the form);

Easy when you know how! wink

LocalEditorSutton Wed 22-Jun-16 13:08:20

We've decided to postpone the proposed book group meet-up tonight because we're not sure we've yet got enough interest (ideally we need about five or six committed participants). Moreover we feel a literary focus to the initial meet-up would help break the ice.

If you have any mummy friends who would be interested in coming along with you, do get them to join up. The more the merrier wink.

Hoping to get back to you in the next few days with a book title (and possibly the offer of free copies), with a view to reading it over the summer hols.

Please do join up on the relevant meet-up page here.

Apologies for the late notice in cancelling.

And if you need to satiate your inner bookworm, don't forget that you can still buy tickets for Mumsnet Bookfest taking place this Saturday in London. Use BookfestSutton20 discount to get 20% off the cost of going.

LocalEditorSutton Thu 23-Jun-16 18:40:22

Hi Sutton Mumsnetters

HQ is going to sort us out a novel to read in preparation for holding the first book group meet-up.

If you're interested in coming along and want to read the first-up-for-discussion novel (which will be FREE and sent directly from the publishers), please email, marking your email FAO Alice - Sutton Book Group , and including your name and postal address.

mumof2lovelies Thu 29-Sep-16 12:16:09

Hi Kate and Helen! Sorry, I have not been on here for ages!! Has the book group started?

LocalEditorSutton Mon 17-Oct-16 07:31:54

Hi mumoftwolovelies I think we reached a bit of a stalemate, as we only had two local mums (including you) express an interest. Would be happy to start 'small' - and I still have some FREE books to hand out. But I think we would ideally need to meet in central Sutton so I can get there easily.

What do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now