Local Talk

Moving to the area

(13 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Mon 31-Jan-11 11:09:15

Hi,

I have posted this on the Winchester Board as well, as I'm not sure where to ask this.

My family and I are looking to move to somewhere between Marlborough and Winchester, we’re currently renting in South Oxford, but just cannot afford to buy there. We've been looking at Calne, Chippenham, Devizes, Tidworth, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas as to what the areas are like (and maybe suggest others) and what the local schools, baby/toddler groups are like.

My DD is 15 months old and my OH is a stay at home dad, so I don't want them to be stuck in an area where there is nothing to do and no one to meet.

Any opinions would be gratefully received

Many Thanks

Cher87 Tue 22-Feb-11 20:36:03

Hi, I am from Calne but now live in swindon. Calne is a nice little town but there isnt an awful lot to do to be honest (well for older/teenage childern). There are qute a few baby and toddler groups (My family still live there and I go with my DS and my sister and her DS)
Chippenham has a bit more going on with a few shops etc.
If you have some spacific questions give mea shout smile

McDreamy Tue 22-Feb-11 20:41:45

I live in Calne. I moved back to the area last year. My children go to a great school in Chippenham. There are some lovely villages around Calne and Chippenham. Cher is right, there is a bit more going on in Chippenham than Calne but I don't mind travelling between the two.
Having said that Calne has a great children's centre that do lots of activities and there are plenty of music groups/toddler groups to join.

Will your DD be going to a nursery before school? I can recommend a fabulous nursery on a working farm. My DD has just started going (they can go from 2) and it's just wonderful, she loves it.

blueberryboybaitonSafari Tue 22-Feb-11 20:58:50

We are in Devizes and there is plenty to do with the kids - we have an amazing Children's Centre and lots of other toddler groups, leisure centre with kiddies swimming sessions. Local schools are of a pretty good standard with 1 senior school in town and 2 or 3 others that kids bus to. Town is very kiddy friendly and there are the major supermarkets as well as independent green grocer and butchers.

The Children's Centre here run in the villages a number of days a week too. There a few SAHD around too.

McDreamy Tue 22-Feb-11 21:01:19

Devizes is very pretty in places and has a great market on a Thursday. I often pop over for a mooch around and a cuppa in Costa smile

mufti Tue 22-Feb-11 21:03:53

we recommend devizes too, 2 independent bookshops, and lots of boutiques,and toddle rgroups as mentioned/

blueberryboybaitonSafari Tue 22-Feb-11 21:05:24

McDreamy - we may well have crossed paths as I spend alot of time occasionally pop into Costa!

McDreamy Tue 22-Feb-11 21:07:17

grin - you would have probably heard us before you saw us.

Odelay Tue 22-Feb-11 21:10:16

Tidworth is a garrison town and grotty. Calne is a bit back of beyond. Calne and devizes are pretty remote, not really good access anywhere. Chippenham is, in all honesty pretty rough

blueberryboybaitonSafari Tue 22-Feb-11 21:15:45

Odelay - not sure I would agree about the not good access anywhere, we are 25mins from the M4 at Chippenham, 35/40mins from Bath, 20mins to Marlborough, Swindon is 30mins away (slightly more depending on what side you want) Salisbury is 30mins and the A303 is only 20ish mins. Major hospitals in Bath/Swindon/Salisbury, minor hospitals in Trowbridge and Chippenham. Train station is at Chippenham and an hour fifiteen from London.

Odelay Tue 22-Feb-11 21:20:07

There are few jobs available in these small Market towns. So if you intend working you'd be looking at a 30 min commute at the very least. That's where I am coming from

McDreamy Tue 22-Feb-11 21:21:09

Disagree with Odelay too. Not sure I would describe either Calne or Devizes is remote. London is easily accessible as is Bristol (went there today took me 40 mins by car). Swindon just 30 mins away.

Chippenham rough? It has it's rougher areas but doesn't everywhere? I've lived all over the UK and can think of much rougher places.

Anyway that's just my opinion smile

McDreamy Tue 22-Feb-11 21:22:26

That's true Odelay, you would have to be prepared to commute as jobs are hard to come by locally - but again that's the same in most market towns at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now