Probably moving to Geneva in Sept... and DH will be a stay at home dad for the first time.. worried for him!!

(8 Posts)
legallyblond Tue 15-Mar-11 13:24:34

Hi all

We are probably moving to Geneva in Sept (I am waiting on a job confirmation) and I am a little daunted by it all... not least because I am on maternity leave at the moment (DD is 5 months, will be almost 1 when we move) but in Geneva I will be working full-time and DH will take over full-time at home... and his French is not good.

Are there any other stay at home dads in Geneva? If not, are there many English speaking mums and babies groups DH would be welcome in? Along the lines of sure start, but not necessarily free....? I really don't want him to be lonely/overwhelmed as I have benefitted so much from making friends at all my baby groups in London.

What are your thoughts?

MmeLindt Tue 15-Mar-11 13:30:47

Hello.

I am in Geneva, or just outside.

You probably know that SAHDs are more unusual here (although not unheard of).

Geneva (and Switzerland) is a very child friendly place though and there is a lot to do here with children.

Not sure about mother-child groups as my DC are older, but I can ask around for you. The one I recommend is the American International Women's Club group, but that is obviously just for women. Not sure if Dads can join in. Will enquire though.

legallyblond Tue 15-Mar-11 13:38:17

Thanks MmeL -that is what I am worried about. I fear all the potential support may be just for women! He'll need it though as he's being thrown in the deep end with 11 month old DD! That said, the groups, if there are any, being all women won't bother DH per se - he is a primary school teacher so used to being the only male! Let me know if you do hear of such things as english mother (and father wink) and toddler groups... I will, I'm sure, be posting lots nearer the time!

sirmione Wed 16-Mar-11 21:38:26

Hi legallyblond. A guy I know is a `trailing spouse` here (Nyon area, close to Geneva). He has a blog called Mr Shev and has meet ups (in pub) for others in same situation. First one was recently, but I know he plans more. See http://livinginnyon.com/?s=mr+shev.
Your husband would probably be most welcome at mums and tots activities. We like seeing Mr Shev, because we actually get to talk to a real live MAN during daylight hours!!!

BTW hello MMe Lindt. Hope you`re well!

legallyblond Thu 17-Mar-11 10:40:57

THANK YOU sirmione - really, really good to know... I will direct DH to the blog right now!!! Looks like the move is becoming ever more likely, so maybe meet some of you soon... yikes!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

sirmione Fri 18-Mar-11 21:00:13

You are v welcome. I found this guide to living in Geneva aimed at expats, really useful when I moved over (contains lists of nurseries/kids activities etc etc). Otherwise there`s quite a lot of info on the website.
http://www.knowitall.ch
Let us know if you need any more info.

Kika7 Mon 02-Jul-12 22:54:39

Hi Legallyblond
Did you ever get any more information about babygroups in Geneva?
We are moving there August 2012 and my husband is a full time dad..
Let me know what you found out.
Perhaps he can meet up with your husband.
Thanks,
Kika

JennyJuno Mon 27-Aug-12 14:29:46

I work in Geneve and live near Lausanne - my daughter is a teenager now but I remember there were lots of baby groups in the central Geneva area when I had her here all those years ago! Safe journeys - Oh, just realised you are probably here by now!

Welcome to Switzerland!

Jenny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now