New (ish) to Geneva!

(7 Posts)
nicbat Tue 15-Jun-10 14:39:33

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself as new to MN and have been browsing through some of your previous (local Swiss) threads with a smile on my face!

We moved to Geneva last Oct with dh's work so I'm the typical 'trailing spouse'..! We're living on Rive Gauche (always get this wrong so just in case it's the side that the jet d'eau is on!)

My ds (2 1/2) is starting at a local Jardin des enfants in September and I just wondered if any of you had any good/bad experiences with schooling over here. Pretty sure we're going to send him to the local village school when he is 5 as it's got a good reputation plus I want to take advantage of him learning to speak French as quickly as possible, but not ruling any options out. Can anyone recommend any other schools private or state? Any advice re schooling much appreciated!

Also are there anymore meet ups planned soon?!!

MmeLindt Tue 15-Jun-10 17:08:05

Welcome to Geneva, Nicbat. Glad that you are settling in.

There are, as you have seen quite a few of us MNetters in and around Geneva. Mystic and myself are on your side of the lake.

Your DS will learn French very quickly in the local system, he is a great age to start.

My DC go to local schools and we are very happy with them there. I guess it is like everywhere - some schools are very good, some are not so good. You just have to have a look and see if you find one that suits you. And of course, then you may have a teacher for a year who you don't really like.

If you put your DS to local school then generally he will have to go to the one nearest your home. You of course have more options open to you if you go private.

I an only talk about our local school, which I find excellent. No idea about other local schools but I can ask around and see if I can find anything out.

Meet up. Yes, we must organise something soon. I will post on the meetup thread and see if we can resurrect it.

nicbat Tue 15-Jun-10 21:16:25

MmeLindt, thanks for the advice, good to hear of someone else that is happy with a local school over here..I'm pretty sure that this is the direction we will end up taking too.

TheMysticMasseuse Thu 17-Jun-10 18:27:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nicbat Thu 01-Jul-10 07:19:57

Hi Mystic Masseuse, sorry for the delay in replying, we've been away for a while.

Thanks for your feedback..that's great that you all speak three languages so I can see why you'd not want to introduce a fourth at the moment! We only speak English in our family at the moment (although I can speak Italian and French as well) so I'd really like my little boy to be immersed in a French speaking environment whilst not at home. We have secured a place for him at the local jardin des enfants which is great but i'm still toying with the idea of the montessori bilingual school, just waiting for them to get back to me but I think I've left it too late for this next school year.

I live near Chenebourg in a village called Puplinge, about 5 mins away! We've been here for around nine months and genereally been happy, although when we got back from hols the other day someone had tried to break in (didn;t actually get in thank god). Set up new security system but just a bit paranoid still at the moment but that should pass hopefully!

TheMysticMasseuse Sat 03-Jul-10 19:36:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nicbat Mon 05-Jul-10 07:19:24

Thanks for the advice MysticMasseuse, will be in contact soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now